UKC

Time for a new road bike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MikeR 13 Mar 2016
Hi all,
I've decided it's time for a new bike. I want something for racing (triathlons) and occasional cycle tours. I realise that the answer is to get two bikes, one for comfort, one for speed, but I just can't afford that at the moment. Is there a reasonable compromise between the two, or would I be better off getting a bike for each? What are the key things I need to look for?
My budget is up to around £1000.
 Toby_W 13 Mar 2016
In reply to MikeR:

If you are between sizes consider the one with the shorter top tube as this will give you more adjustment when you fit tri bars also take a moment to look at the different ways of setting up a road bike with tri bars.

Also, choose the one that you think looks the best!

Cheers

Toby
 nniff 13 Mar 2016
In reply to MikeR:

A lot of people find that time trials are just too painful for words and there are a lot of time trial bikes available with little use and going cheap.

Get strong on a road bike with clip-on bars, and keep an eye on the classifieds and buy someone's dream TT bike in due course.

My pick for a quick £1,000 bike is a Decathlon B'TWIN Mach 720 Carbon Road Bike - 105

11 speed 105 (all less brakes), decent carbon frame and sound wheels. Bit of a no-brainer IMHO. You might want to get some bigger chain rings for racing depending on the course, but that set up would do you for touring - saddle bag rather than panniers though
OP MikeR 13 Mar 2016
In reply to nniff and Toby_W:

Thanks for the replies, meant to reply sooner but got distracted. That's a good tip about the tri bars, cheers.
And thanks for the recommendation, I'll look it up.
 neuromancer 13 Mar 2016
In reply to MikeR:

You can get a lot of very good bike for a grand on eBay.

It isn't a house, you don't need a surveyor.

kevin stephens 13 Mar 2016
In reply to MikeR:
For a bike suitable for racing and touring I would go to ribble or Dolan bike building sites and get the best build (group set and wheels) you can afford on an aluminium winter training frame; its mudguard attachment points will be suitable for fixing paniers. Aluminium will be a bit heavier than carbon but not too much of a problem if racing on the flat. Get cheap bolt on tri bars. Be very careful of correct fit for the frame
 neuromancer 14 Mar 2016
In reply to MikeR:

Actually you could probably get a cheap carbon TT bike and a cheap alu tourer for that money and be better off for both disciplines.
 chris fox 14 Mar 2016
In reply to MikeR:

Like Neuromancer put, look into used ones. Just like a car, when you take a new one out of the shop it depreciates instantly ! I recently bought an ex team race bike and got a huge amount off just because it had a few paint chips on the frame from a seasons racing. go into your local bike shops and check out the clip on tri bars. I bought the cheap £30 ones from evans and the cups were too small for my forearms. Ended up buying Zipp Vuka wing ones which have lots of adjustments and come in at around £90 on amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zipp-Vuka-Alumina-Extension-31-8mm/dp/B019I56HAY

Look on here too for some deals

https://www.bikesoup.com/

Chris
In reply to MikeR:

Road CC bike of the year will take a bit of beating on the value stakes https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-fuse-105-road-bike-84164.html
 LastBoyScout 14 Mar 2016
In reply to MikeR:

I've raced a few triathlons with a clip-on tri bars on a normal road bike. Alu bars are fine - if you go carbon, then check they are designed to take them. Depending on the design, you may want to put a shorter stem on for racing and/or you can also shift the saddle forward a bit to get a better position.

I'd suggest investing £100 in a proper bike fit, tell them what you want to do and take their advice on geometry as a starting point. When I bought my last bike, I explained I wanted a race bike I could ride all day and built the size/geometry/position around that.

Once you've got the frame size and geometry, then you can start shopping around/looking on eBay and comparing specs - bars, stem, chainset (crank length), etc, etc, can all be changed to for what you want, as long as you have the right frame.
OP MikeR 14 Mar 2016
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Getting a proper bike fitting was something I was considering. Can anyone recommend a good bike fitter in or near Aberdeen?
 Jim Braid 14 Mar 2016
In reply to MikeR:

I live in Kintore and used http://www.visualbikefit.com/ last May to do a bikefit for me. I thought he was excellent. He came to the house with his panel van full of kit and set it up in the garage. He covers a fair area in Scotland using the van and will agree a mutually convenient time and place via email etc.

Don't hesitate to contact me directly if you want further information.
OP MikeR 15 Mar 2016
In reply to Jim Braid:

Thanks for the recommendation, sounds like a good service. I'll check him out.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...