UKC

Ruadh Stac Mor (Fisherfield)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ramblin dave 16 Mar 2016

Quick questions in advance of a Fisherfield trip.

How obvious (in either direction) is the route between Poll Eadar dha Stac and Ruadh Stac Mor? Is it going to be iffy in snow and/or clag?

Also, am I right in thinking that any route off the NW end of the summit ridge is going to be a nightmare of steep scree that's best avoided?

Thanks!
Post edited at 14:59
 Andy Nisbet 16 Mar 2016
In reply to Ramblin dave:

I did it in the reverse direction (up the NW end) and don't remember any problems. But that was in summer, which is what conditions may be like this year.
 Jack Frost 16 Mar 2016

From Poll Eadar dha Stac, its pretty steep and loose, but there is an obvious easy route through the small band of crags.

This pic from Geograph shows the line of crags:

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/262686

Coming off Ruadh Stac Mor, the descent NNE to the gap between the lochans (Lochan a Bhraghad) was grassy and fast walking. Not sure about the NW end - but Geograph might help.
OP Ramblin dave 16 Mar 2016

Thanks, both!

I can imagine that NW end being a pretty quick descent in winter, actually. Nice bumsliding terrain.

Whereas the descent to the col looks like it'd be a bit of a crapshoot in poor visibility unless you knew it well... is the route the diagonal line up the loose stuff to the left hand end of the dark crags above the col on the right? That looks like some significant ending-up-halfway-up-a-cliff potential!
drmarten 16 Mar 2016

Yes, that is the path up. It's loose but I didn't find it dodgy at all (disclaimer, never been up in winter). It's well trodden and while a couple of handholds might help I wouldn't class it as scrambling territory. I imagine in winter it would be hard to find from above if there was snow on the ground.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...