UKC

New Jacket recommendations/ old jacket problems

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Hudson 18 Mar 2016
Looking for a new waterproof jacket for use ranging from a walk in the dales up to a day out on the Scottish hills in winter. The Mountain equipment Tupilak has come up on the radar been on offer in some outlets. Any other recommendations. Needs high pockets not obstructed by a harness.

Also.... The new jacket is needed because my current one (2 yrs old) leaks, suffers from pilling and all the material is "bubbling", i've sent it off to the manufacturer who say I haven't looked after it properly and in line with their guidelines which I have so unhappy with their decision what options do I have.

Toerag 18 Mar 2016
In reply to Andy Hudson:

Have you looked after the jacket according to their recommendations? If so then that manufacturer should be avoided in the future as they obviously don't want to accept responsibility for anything.
Removed User 18 Mar 2016
In reply to Andy Hudson:

Could you tell us all what your current jacket is. It might be useful for anyone thinking of buying one to know of the problems you have encountered. Thanks.
OP Andy Hudson 18 Mar 2016
In reply to Removed User:
> Could you tell us all what your current jacket is. It might be useful for anyone thinking of buying one to know of the problems you have encountered. Thanks.

It's a Montane Alpine Endurance. Had it 2 years and it looks a mess,all loose strands/pilling on fabric and material has bubbled all over. Apparently I've not looked after it as instructions which is not the case as I'm more than familiar with the treatment of jackets and all the loose strands/pilling have been caused by rough/abrasive edges, not sure how abrasive my hand is or my rucksack straps but that's all that's been in contact with it.
Post edited at 17:36
 leon 1 18 Mar 2016
In reply to Andy Hudson: Ah, that's the problem. You used it outside.
Sounds a bit like a Nomics warranty.

andyd1970 18 Mar 2016
In reply to Andy Hudson:
Hi Andy
Cut a long story short but I had a Mountain Equipment tuplilak 2 which was goretex pros hell, which I bought about 4 years ago and then the zip broke
With the help of Ellis Brigham who I bought the jacket from I got it sent back to M.E as they said it may be under warranty and if not they would see if it can be fixed.
On receipt of the jacket mountain equipment said the goretex had delaminated and sent me the new 2016 Tupilak which is amazing but the hood it large and great when wearing a helmet.
The jacket is 80 denier all over but the 2015 version which you are possibly seeing in the sales is a mix of 80 and 40 denier. I would also consider the lhotse
Love my new jacket it fits great with its cut and the material is bomber but breathable

Ridge 19 Mar 2016
In reply to Andy Hudson:

Have you climbed in it at all? Just looked at the jacket online, and if a £300 jacket described as "Developed for use on Alpine ascents and Scottish winter climbs, it can handle the most extreme mountain conditions" is knackered after 2 years of walking then it must be defective.
 Run_Ross_Run 19 Mar 2016
In reply to Andy Hudson:
Approach montane again via letter/email
Explaining how you have used and washed the jacket in a bit more detail and advise them that you are not happy with their response to your enquiry. Quote the spec and recommended use of the jacket too and if that is in line with the use it has had.

Sometimes there's an element of bluff that circulates at early warranty enquiry stages.

I had a delamination issue with a marmot super mica that was well out of warranty and had taken a battering. Marmot sent me a brand new jacket without questioning, all done through cotswold.

OP Andy Hudson 19 Mar 2016
In reply to Run_Ross_Run:

They've had the jacket back and basically told me it's not been cared for properly which is not the case and are pretty adamant they will not replace it. They say all the fraying/pilling is caused by rubbing against abrasive surfaces.

For a jacket to quote Montane "Developed for use on Alpine ascents and Scottish winter climbs, it can handle the most extreme mountain conditions" it's struggled with walking in the dales and Lake District.

Run_Ross_Run 19 Mar 2016
In reply to Andy Hudson:
There you go. You have the opening statement already written out to send to montane.

Seriously. Go back to them with factual statements about use/care of the jacket and ask them to inspect it again.

The bubbling is probably delamination and they may argue that you haven't washed it correctly but if you are sure that you followed the manufacturers instructions then you state that.

You have nothing to loose have you?

Edit for spelling :/
Post edited at 10:33
hikerpike 19 Mar 2016
In reply to Andy Hudson:
I don't think these high-spec gore-tex jackets are designed to last forever.I have a ME Kongur ( I had an Ogre before that which was knicked while my back was turned for a mere few secs in some trendy bar- I turned round and bam it was gone!! I told my mate and he said 'it's because it's got quality written all over it') that has now seen it's third season of scottish winter rainy weather and by the second winter it was already showing some signs of leakage, specifically the wrists and the neck line of the hood- basically in those places where they had used thinner fabric(denier?), unlike the pockets for e.g.I don't know if they are just saving money by doing that.

The only obvious sign of delamination was where the velcro on the inside label tag had ,unbeknownst to me, been rubbing against the back-side of the hood-bubbling..Now just used the 2 Granger products I bought for it few years prior.Seems to have endured the washing machine okay, although it came out inside-out.

If you think you have a genuine case then as with all things persistence can pay off according to cogent advice already given.

I actually got this jacket listed as new with defects on ebay from a seller who obviously had hundreds all with something either very minor or easily repairable which would'nt dramtically affect it's function, the only thing wrong with this one was one of the drawcords on one side of the hood at the back was either missing or snapped.-around £100 I bid for it, when it is normally at least RP of £200.
Post edited at 11:53
 Nordie_matt 19 Mar 2016
In reply to Andy Hudson:

I am on my 3rd, having had 2 replaced by montane, for delamination, and seams coming apart. Absolutely woeful jacket, and as a result I steer clear of montane as brand now.

How I looked after the jacket was questioned too by the rep, however I followed the instructions to a T, and the first jacket came apart after being hung up to dry in a warm bathroom 2 weeks after I bought it.
 Dave the Rave 19 Mar 2016
In reply to Andy Hudson:

I would consider looking out for an older second hand gore tex from the days when they were heavier and had useful features such as front zip covers. My old ME Changabang 2000 has been sat on, spat on, shat on and generally abused, but remains waterproof and functional. Modern coats are crap.
Zoro 19 Mar 2016
In reply to Andy Hudson:
For what its worth i'd go back to Montane too, could you not go via the retailer whole sold you the jacket? They usually have a good relationship with their supplier. I would also see if you can find more information about othe users who have also had quality issues, and see if you can show Montane evidence of this.

As for a new jacket have the ME Lhotse, and i previously had the Tupilak. I found the Tupilak was great for climbing, but I prefer the Lhotse for climbing, and walking. The construction, and quality of the ME jackets is exccellent, the Lhotse is bombproof!

Zoro.
 Ridge 19 Mar 2016
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> I would consider looking out for an older second hand gore tex from the days when they were heavier and had useful features such as front zip covers.

What? A flap over the zip so that it stops water coming through the zip? What witchcraft is this? Such heresy could add about 50p to the manufacturing costs and nearly a gramme to the jacket weight, madness I tell you, madness!

> My old ME Changabang 2000 has been sat on, spat on, shat on and generally abused, but remains waterproof and functional.

Poetic, if only the Beautiful South did advertising for outdoor clothing.

> Modern coats are crap.

Sounds like the Montane is!
In reply to Ridge:

> What? A flap over the zip so that it stops water coming through the zip? What witchcraft is this? Such heresy could add about 50p to the manufacturing costs and nearly a gramme to the jacket weight, madness I tell you, madness!

Zip flaps make you look like a rambler, not rugged like a climber

> Poetic, if only the Beautiful South did advertising for outdoor clothing.
Or the Pogues. Birmingham Six
> Sounds like the Montane is!
Indeed. Are they on Facebook? That would be my first option if I was irate about customer service.
In reply to Andy Hudson:

When buying kit , use this mantra.
youtube.com/watch?v=9vQaVIoEjOM&
hikerpike 19 Mar 2016
In reply to Andy Hudson:
I'd prefer it if they used the same thickness of denier goretex fabric around the whole thing.Then I suspect there would be much less leakage.(because in the thicker areas there is no leakage at all- it still has that new pristine quality to it) They say dirt builds up on the inside membrane( the symptom is it looks black or darkened instead of that silver colour when new or undamaged meaning it's waterproofing capability has been compromised) which in turn leaches or leaks, i.e pulls water through osmotically speaking.Like osmosis. I wonder if this would'nt happen in the most vulnerable wearing places that get most action like joints if they did'nt compromise over-all.

Are they doing this to save money I wonder or perhaps their wisdom is flexibility and breathability has a functional threshold practical limitation, just for example.

I am referring to Mountain Equipment jackets certainly the high spec goretex models I've tried.

(Sounds to me like you might have been wearing something somewhat potentially abrasive underneath- IDK Wool or something .Obviously if that is not the case then well maybe you have a case.The teeth on the velcro hood label delaminated a tiny wee spot on mine.I only just noticed it because it was hidden)
Post edited at 21:49
 Timmd 19 Mar 2016
In reply to Dave the Rave:
> I would consider looking out for an older second hand gore tex from the days when they were heavier and had useful features such as front zip covers. My old ME Changabang 2000 has been sat on, spat on, shat on and generally abused, but remains waterproof and functional. Modern coats are crap.

With how there are companies who will repair and re-tape goretex jackets in the UK, it could turn out quite well to buy a cheap and second hand but decent quality jacket which only has minor wear to it, and get it fully sorted again.
Post edited at 00:00

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...