UKC

Old Man of Hoy this time of year?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 efrance24234 20 Mar 2016
Hello,
Have people climbed this at the end of March? It's our backup plan for easter weekend atm and was wondering what the conditions are likely to be like.
Thanks.
 Murcantile 21 Mar 2016
In reply to efrance24234:

As long as it's not raining all the time fine, climbed stoer and Skye march to April last year.
Bit further down but we got a lot done, no midges and had good weather.

By good weather I mean blowing a gail and not pissing down with rain! Wind kept the rock nice and dry though.
 Michael Gordon 21 Mar 2016

Going by the forecast I would suggest conditions may well be poor. Would have probably been perfect last week but sounds likely it could be damp.
OP efrance24234 21 Mar 2016
In reply to Michael Gordon:

Trouble is its got the best forecast for the whole of Britain from the forecast I have been using.
 steveboote 21 Mar 2016
In reply to efrance24234: long way to go to look across at green rock..no matter how stunning,..made that mistake but in October once. Checked UKC logbooks and earliest appears to be April of any year...Easyjet trip to a sunnier clime would work out cheaper too!

OP efrance24234 21 Mar 2016

Thanks for the responses. Flights are too expensive
 Michael Gordon 22 Mar 2016

> It's our backup plan for easter weekend

what is plan A out of interest?
OP efrance24234 22 Mar 2016

Wales
 Martin Haworth 22 Mar 2016
What about the Souter, not as iconic a sea stack as Hoy but the forecast looks better than many places this weekend.
 Michael Gordon 23 Mar 2016

To be honest if you're climbing E5 you should still get up the Old Man even if it's cold and damp!
 Al Evans 24 Mar 2016

We did the first ascent of St Johns Head at Easter, when we left The Old Man was snow covered but we had had warm , even too warm conditions on some days, Luck of the draw.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...