UKC

Balmashanner being filled in ? A local might want to check.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Baggie 21 Mar 2016

I went to Balmashanner Quarry for the first time today, and it looks like a large amount of earth and rubble has been recently been dumped in the left end of the pit. There were also brand new tyre tracks tracks right to the edge of the pit, and large tree stumps lying at the bottom of some of the routes.

The earth looks very fresh - certainly dumped in the few weeks, and the routes around The Niche (8a+) and Merchant of Menace (8b) are looking like they might be lost completely - there really isn't much space between the rubble and the wall now. They are ok at the moment, but another big load of earth could mean they are buried.

I've never been here before, so I don't know if it's always been like this, but it might be worth a local who is in the know having a check to see what is going on even if it's to tell me I'm worrying about nothing?
Post edited at 18:05
 DaveHK 21 Mar 2016
In reply to Baggie:

It might not be THE most depressing place I've climbed but it's in the top 3.
 Heike 21 Mar 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

Out of interest - which ones are the other two?
 DaveHK 21 Mar 2016
In reply to Heike:

> Out of interest - which ones are the other two?

Not that I'm against the Angus Quarries as such but there was the time we went to Ley Quarry. I'd seen the first part of Lord of the Rings a few weeks before and when Bob threw a rock into the pond I thought a monster was going to appear like that thing at the gates of Moria.
 Heike 21 Mar 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

Yes, Ley quarry is a bit grotty to say the least, but some good routes there although they are all quite height-dependent, so I wouldn't rush back....!!!
 Fraser 21 Mar 2016
OP Baggie 21 Mar 2016
In reply to Fraser:
Yes, its definitely worse.

The rubble would be right in the foreground at the bottom of your pic so it's a bit hard to quantify exactly, but in the far right corner I'd say it's now probably about a 50-60 degree slope of black earth from one metre out from the bottom of the wall to field level
Post edited at 19:30
 BrendanO 21 Mar 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

Oh, I quite liked Ley quarry. Pond contains at least two qdraws THROWN, not dropped in. Long story. Love the description in 7a Max.
 Red Rover 21 Mar 2016
In reply to Fraser:

It looks quite pretty!
 Timmd 22 Mar 2016
In reply to Red Rover:
It looks like the kind of place where actually being on the rock or at the foot of it perhaps isn't so nice, but the surrounding area is. It could be a well composed picture to crop out things less pretty I guess.
Post edited at 00:40

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...