UKC

Camera gear/Travel Insurance/BMC

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mudmonkey 22 Mar 2016
So I got a really nice pic of the sea stacks at Vik in Iceland last week. Unfortunately it looks to have cost me about £600 as my Sony RX 100 and Fuji 18-55mm lens enjoyed a salt water bath in my camera bag mere moments later!

Looks like my BMC travel insurance won't cover this sort of stupidity. Does anyone know of/recommend stand alone insurance for camera gear? Annoyingly I switched from Snowcard this year - they paid out no problem a few years ago on accidental breakage of a compact camera.

On the plus side I can attest that the weather sealing of a Fuji XT-1 and 55-200mm lens will adequately resist brief submersion in freak north Atlantic waves.....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/100520660@N07/25688766090/in/dateposted-publi...
 CasWebb 22 Mar 2016
In reply to mudmonkey5:

I use Photoguard for my kit.
 dek 22 Mar 2016
In reply to mudmonkey5:

Superb photos! Sorry about the damage though!
 Alan M 24 Mar 2016
In reply to mudmonkey5:

I am interested in this question also.

I also damaged my camera kit on the beaches at Vic in December. My kit was damaged by snow, flying sea foam and being blasted by flying ash in the strong winds. Have to say, what an unbelievable place to be during a winter storm!.

The only place I have ever been where all the photos are in black and white naturally and not because of a camera setting.
Harbrimar 27 Mar 2016
I used to have stand alone insurance for my photo equipment but found it too expensive. I now have it covered on my house contents insurance under 'all risks'. It's covered for accidental damage away from the home as well. If the value of an item is over a specified amount it has to be listed seperately (the amount is different between companies). Not sure if the home contents all risks would cover you if you are a 'Pro' though.

london_huddy 28 Mar 2016
In reply to CasWebb:

When I was shooting commercially I used Photoguard - very sensible folks there when I had to make a claim.
OP mudmonkey 28 Mar 2016
In reply to mudmonkey5:

Thanks for replies all - will have a look at Photoguard
 jethro kiernan 28 Mar 2016
In reply to mudmonkey5:
I have found m&S insurance to be very good, we took it out because various forums had recommended it for bikes. However I lost my Nikon DSLR in "stupid" circumstances and they were very good in paying out 😊

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...