UKC

CIC Hut quick (but dull) question/s

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PeterBlackler 23 Mar 2016
Trip planned to the CIC hut for next week, although I may need to make some business calls (yes, yes I know…) also recent events very much bring to mind the need to inform others of plans*

Anyway can anyone give some advice on the nearest phone signal to the hut? I wonder if this coverage map is accurate www.o2.co.uk/coveragechecker in those parts

Also any advice on phone charging; some have suggested that it’s possible at the hut…

Kind regards,

Peter

* absolutely no criticism of anyone implied here, it’s a rather sombre time to be up at the hut I think
 Babika 23 Mar 2016
In reply to PeterBlackler:

Take one of those pocket chargers? Yes, I know its more weight but mine is 150g and cost £15 so not much for an extra full charge. You can get beefier ones.
 Pina 23 Mar 2016

Just bring a phone charger. There's plugs.
 Nbrain 23 Mar 2016

That map is in no way interpretible or accurate. You get good signal on O2 all the way from CMD to the top of the ben on the ridge line. And decent signal at the halfway lochan, I'm not sure exactly how far into the valley the signal is good for though.
Calski 23 Mar 2016
There's a socket in the hut and O2 reception on the downhill side. I've always had sufficient reception from the kitchen window for SMS.

As Calski says, you'll get signal with O2 and plugs at the kitchen window.
 nation1 23 Mar 2016
Charging facilities in the hut near the gas hobs in kitchen as stated already , sms signal ok at the kitchen window, and had a reception at the front door with 02
Post edited at 21:28
OP PeterBlackler 23 Mar 2016
Thanks all for the really helpful replies (and on such a non kosha "winter climbing" question too - just beginning to wonder if I'm actually on the UKC forum...)

One supplementary if you don't mind:

How safe is it to leave stuff in a car at the 'North Face' car park - anyone know of any recent problems? (or a alternative near Fort William to leave gear)

Pete
 george mc 23 Mar 2016

Appears the 'leccy at the hut is not working - could be the batteries are run down - due to lack of wind powering the wind turbine which powers the generator which charges the battery. Might be worth taking a pocket charger just in case. in saying that it's due to get windier so that may change the power situation (assuming it's not a technical fault).
ultrabumbly 23 Mar 2016
> How safe is it to leave stuff in a car at the 'North Face' car park - anyone know of any recent problems? (or a alternative near Fort William to leave gear)

I believe there is still a left luggage service at the train station. I think it is self service lockers. But they may only be accessible during station opening hours. Not been in by train for years.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...