UKC

trip report from last weekend - The White Line

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MrRiley 24 Mar 2016
Had a really good weekend just gone on a sunny Curved Ridge and an icy White Line. Some snaps and spiel here:

http://www.mistymountainhop.net/2016/03/gotta-love-spring-sunny-curved-ridg...

Rich W Parker 24 Mar 2016
In reply to MrRiley:

Nice write-up. Word is it'll get an upgrade in the next revision.
 petestack 24 Mar 2016
In reply to Murko Fuzz:

It's a great route with an unusually high ratio of proper ice to snow plodding. But seems just about everyone who's done it thinks it's Grade IV!
 Andy Nisbet 24 Mar 2016
In reply to petestack:

> It's a great route with an unusually high ratio of proper ice to snow plodding. But seems just about everyone who's done it thinks it's Grade IV!

I thought it was Grade IV.
 goatee 24 Mar 2016
In reply to MrRiley:
Looks great...and not just that alluring shadow
Post edited at 23:09
 Nathan Adam 25 Mar 2016
In reply to MrRiley:

I thought I was being a wimp when I led that second pitch last season, but seems like it is quite steep for the grade. We had intended to go for an icy mixed route on Pinnacle Buttress of the Tower but ended up climbing the White Line with 5 screws I think. A fine route regardless, a nice write up and good photos on there too!
 Sharp 26 Mar 2016
In reply to MrRiley:

I remember doing it (some of it) a few years ago. We foolishly took a belay about 6/7 metres at a rock island in between the first wee pitch and the second(the 50m ice pitch).I think I'd placed the minimal amount of screws i had then by half way and was saving one last one for the belay hoping there'd be a good stance but it never came. I ran out of rope on a steepish section near the top with the rope swirling away below and trying to shout at my partner to move on. The third pitch was non-existent and in the clag we couldn't find any more of the route and ended up traversing wildly right till we came to a sttep sugary exit onto the plateu. Live and learn!

Thanks for the write up. Will be good to go back and do it properly looks like you had a great day
OP MrRiley 26 Mar 2016
In reply to MrRiley:

Thanks All, glad you enjoyed the write up! Yeah the ratio of actual ice to snow is very good and if you caught that third pitch in nick too it would be stonking! Guidebook description for the top section is a bit vague though, hence our surprise at the bonus icy chimney, other teams had gone around that part to the left. Halebop groove looks like a good finish too
 petestack 26 Mar 2016
In reply to MrRiley:

> Yeah the ratio of actual ice to snow is very good and if you caught that third pitch in nick too it would be stonking!

Seven years since I did it ( http://www.petestack.com/blog/the-white-line.html ), but my conclusion at the time was 'guessing that this third icefall simply doesn't form so readily'. (NB Mike Pescod's photo linked from my blog is no longer there, but seems that's what folk here are effectively saying too.) As for my 'slight whiff of possible sandbag at III in the conditions we found it in', I think I'd just say I thought it was IV now!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...