UKC

Cheapest/ most convenient accommodation for the old man of hoy?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
greg123 25 Mar 2016
title says it all,
were just curious about the hoy accommodation tho. Orkney's simple enough,

i know there's that Bod type thing right at the start of the walk in but cant for the life of me remember what it was called...
or any other good suggestions,?
 Mark Collins 25 Mar 2016
In reply to greg123:

I don't know what a Bod is (regional term?), but there is Rackwick Bothy and a Youth Hostel near by. I took a tent and camped near the car park at the end of the road, where there is also a public toilet.
greg123 25 Mar 2016
In reply to Mark Collins:

must be a regional term, turns out I'm more 'yochle' than I originally thought...

after looking into it more it seems most places are booked up the week were going for it,

so the bothy looks like the one. cheaper anyway.
what's the deal with permissions for staying/camping (think its called 'burnmouth'). is there someone you phone first or is it fine as long as you don't trash everything. (obviously not going to)

Mark Collins 25 Mar 2016
In reply to greg123:

I didn't ask anyone's permission (2012) but found a flat spot just to the left of the road before you enter the 'village', where I was also able to park in a layby/passing place. I stayed for about 4 days and no one bothered me. You can also camp in the grounds of the bothy, it has a drystone wall enclosed small field attached.
 Smelly Fox 25 Mar 2016
In reply to greg123:

You can camp for free in the garden of Rackwick Bothy I think. Worthwhile due to the stunning location and flushing toilet! There was even a nice chap who comes along to take your rubbish away when I was there a few years back.
greg123 25 Mar 2016
In reply to greg123:

thanks for the info!

is anyone able to screenshot a google maps of the location of the bothy and email it to me?
not been able to find where it is online
also
dont want to loose a potential days climbing trying to find the thing and getting set up
 Peter Metcalfe 25 Mar 2016
In reply to greg123:

You can see it from the road end (by the hostel) and there's a path to it that starts from there. We found it no problem at 1am in the morning after several celebratory whiskies. Name is something of a giveaway when you think about?

Just checked and it's marked as plain as day on the OS Map! You might need be a bit more self-reliant if you want to go and do the Old Man. It's a very serious proposition and help would be a long time coming if things go pear-shaped.

Peter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...