UKC

Tintern Quarry access

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sid68 25 Mar 2016
Whilst climbing at Wintours Leap today, chatted to a couple of climbers that had been asked to leave Tintern Quarry by the apparent owner.
Whilst a regular climber at the quarry over the years, I'm fully aware of the previous forums and discussions regarding access but curious to learn the lasteat news.
Any info.........?
 hands solo 25 Mar 2016
In reply to sid68:

thanks for bringing it up again. i would like to know aswel. its not the greatest rock but i still realy like it
In reply to sid68:

Thanks for posting - it's an exciting venue and it would be a great shame if we couldn't use it any longer........it's given a 'running belay' a whole new meaning!
 Rick Sewards 26 Mar 2016
In reply to sid68:

Hi

Thanks for reporting this. I'm afraid I haven't any new developments to report - I contacted the landowners after the first time problems were reported and it was agreed in principle that we would meet, but since then I've had no replies to any emails. I will try again though - as it appears from your posting that the landowner is occasionally at least enforcing the restriction.

Until anything changes, the situation remain that the landowner does not wish people to climb there. This is not a BMC-agreed restriction, and I'm not advising people not to climb there, but it is possible that you will be asked to leave if you do.

Thanks

Rick Sewards
Wye Valley Access Rep
OP sid68 26 Mar 2016
In reply to Rick Sewards:

Hi Rick, thanks for your comments. Unless there are any positive access comments, probably best to give Tintern Quarry a miss so not to antagonise the land owner and disrupt any possible future discussions; afterall, there are other sport venues to visit.
Thanks again
SiD
 springfall2008 31 Mar 2016
In reply to sid68:

I wouldn't worry too much, the odd person has been asked to leave but otherwise it's business as usual!
 bpmclimb 01 Apr 2016
In reply to treforsouthwell:

> I wouldn't worry too much, the odd person has been asked to leave but otherwise it's business as usual!

Yes, we all looked fairly normal the other day, and weren't accosted at all
OP sid68 02 Apr 2016
In reply to treforsouthwell:
Hi, thanks for letting me know; used to be a regular but have given it a miss since last summer . Think I'll head down there again soon tho. Thanks again
Post edited at 20:53
OP sid68 02 Apr 2016
In reply to bpmclimb:

Great news! Thanks for letting me know; I'll head down there soon and report back. Thanks again.
tonymillichope 02 May 2016
Was climbing there on Saturday (31st April) and asked to leave, which we did. I guess that a sunny bank holiday Sat was tempting things a bit!
 springfall2008 10 May 2016
In reply to tonymillichope:

Was it a guy in a white van?

I was wondering next time that happens about trying to speak nicely to the "Owner" to find out what the issue is?
 Cheese Monkey 11 May 2016
In reply to springfall2008:

That is what the BMC are trying to do I believe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...