UKC

finding groupls to climb with

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
tonytc 27 Mar 2016
Hi all, I have done a couple of alpine climbs in Austria and Slovakia and would like to build up more experience. I cannot afford to pay a guide every time I climb but I would also not like to die doing something stupid. Does anyone know of any group/organisation that arranges trips or where people can arrange to join others who may have more experience?

Thanks,

Tony
 Mountain Llama 27 Mar 2016
In reply to tonytc:

sounds like you need to join a club?

where are you based?
 LizS 27 Mar 2016
In reply to tonytc:

If you're between 18-30 then consider the subsidised Jonathan Conville courses
https://www.thebmc.co.uk/what-are-the-jonathan-conville-skills-courses
tonytc 27 Mar 2016
In reply to Mountain Llama:

I actually live in the Czech Republic. So mainland Europe is quite accessible. Austria particularly is close. I'm really looking for English speaking though which is why I posted here.
 Babika 28 Mar 2016
In reply to tonytc:

Is there no ethos of Climbing Clubs in CZ?
Or internet forums that you can search under?

Failing that, if you have a very specific Alpine objective at a modest grade, its worth posting on here pointing out your limited experience. The climbing world is full of folk with all sorts of aspirations but often lacking a partner and you may well find someone

FWIW I think the climbing in Vsoke Tatry is brilliant and in your position I would head there rather than the Alps!
tonytc 28 Mar 2016
In reply to Babika:

I have climbed in the tatras. Gurlak, it was fantastic and I've done a fair bit of ice climbing there but I believe that you have to hire a guide by law to climb there unless one of your party is certified.
 Babika 28 Mar 2016
In reply to tonytc:

I did a long rock route (Galfy Route) on Gerlach and agree that it was amazing!

I carried my BMC membership card as proof of affiliation in case I was challenged but apart from a chat at Sliesky Dom with a guide who was friendly and helpful there were no issues and the mountains were empty.

The Slovaks are simply very protective of their beautiful mountain environment and are trying to protect it from idiots stumbling all over the place without the faintest clue about the very real dangers.
 Mountain Llama 28 Mar 2016
In reply to tonytc:

have you tried here http://www.czechclimbing.com/diskuse.php

plenty of English speaking folk looking for partners
tonytc 28 Mar 2016
In reply to Mountain Llama:

Thanks, I had looked on there but there is very little activity. 2 posts this year and that is for people looking for climbing gym partners. I was really hoping that there may be some organisation that arranges trips at different levels that you could join up with but not a guided 250+ euro per day type of affair. I guess I should just keep posting asking if anyone with some experience fancies joining a newbie on a trip.

The BMC link posted by someone else above looks good but I'm too old for that

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...