UKC

MTB tyres

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alam_kouh 28 Mar 2016
I'm planning a ride along the Ridgeway to Tring, then home to Leicester using mostly Tarmac plus some canal towpaths. I'm currently running Maxxis 2.1 MTB tyres on a Scott Racing but I think that something that rolls more freely might be better overall. Each ride is about 80 miles, but I don't think the Ridgeway will be too technical in August.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Vic
 LastBoyScout 28 Mar 2016
In reply to alam_kouh:
The bits of the Ridgeway I've ridden are pretty straightforward if it's dry, as mostly hard pack and a bit of gravel, not unlike a towpath.

Different story in the wet, though, as it can get very muddy in places and the chalk can get very slippery.

For what you're describing, I'd run something light and low profile, like my Hutchinson Pythons, and pump them up hard on the tarmac
- and watch out for flints
Post edited at 22:04
Rigid Raider 29 Mar 2016
In reply to alam_kouh:

We used to do Polaris mountain marathons (which can be 75% on tarmac) on 1.6" commuting tyres. Pumped up reasonably firm they ride fast and smooth on the central ridge on tarmac and the treads sink in and grip in soft conditions. For a ride like that you won't need gnarly nobbly tyres, they will just waste your energy.
OP alam_kouh 30 Mar 2016
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Thanks for this - I was looking at something like Schwalbe land cruisers but the Pythons look good and are almost half the weight.

Vic

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...