UKC

ARTICLE: A Climbing Bibliomaniac: Meeting Dave

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 31 Mar 2016
Dave and his collection of climbing books..., 5 kbNathan Rostron presents David Price - the owner of a particularly impressive collection of climbing books...

During our first conversation, my mind was fully engaged by Dave's enthusiasm about his book collection of around four thousand books that all relate to rock climbing or mountaineering in one-way or another. Perhaps what is even more astonishing is the fact that this collection has been put together in just four years! It may be strange to say this, but after that conversation I knew we'd get on fine, as you'd have to be a little bit mad to achieve something like that.

Read more
In reply to UKC Articles:
Whoa, this guy has more guidebooks than Rob Greenwood!!

I know who I'll be emailing if I need to borrow a guidebook...

Also... would be interested to know how many he actually uses. As a bit of a guidebook lover myself, I feel it is such a shame to see an unused guidebook... I even wrote a few words about how much I love guidebooks for the excellent Nectar site:
http://www.nectarclimbing.com/words/the-good-book-or-the-pre-filled-diaries...
Post edited at 11:44

Words cannot express my envy...
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

You better watch you're back David... Rob's gonna get ya!
 pneame 31 Mar 2016

Stunning - love his Facebook page
 Hat Dude 31 Mar 2016

Sod the guidebooks, he's got a D1 BSA Bantam
 fred99 31 Mar 2016
In reply to Hat Dude:

That was my first thought !
 Wft 31 Mar 2016

There is a simple but very effective method by which to decide who is the bigger rock-book-nerd.

Gentlemen.... a blindfold please, Mr Greenwood on my left will now identify 5 guidebooks through touch and smell alone.

67hours 31 Mar 2016

I popped into this place http://www.adventurebooks.co.nz/ in Oamaru in NZ last week. In this case, after a lifetime obsession of collecting books the owner is now selling off everything except one small bookcase worth.

I bought £50 worth and got quite excited.
 Henry Iddon 31 Mar 2016

Assume our guide book lover visited Lines of Ascent at Heaton Cooper in 2014 which was part of KMF ?

http://www.mountainfest.co.uk/william-heaton-cooper
 bantamdave 03 Apr 2016
In reply to Duncan Campbell:

Hi Duncan, I have a shelf and a half of guide books I use. I am constantly reading mountaineering books and have lost count of the number I read. Most of the guide books in my collection are used. I only started climbing five years ago so have bought hundreds of used guide books and very few have not seen a crag. As with any collector the aim is to buy an item which is in as good condition as is possible, just like a toy car is considered of more value with its box and a record more desireable with a fine cover. It is difficult with guide books as by there very nature they get used and damaged. Often you have no choice but to accept a poor copy of a rare guide. Some collectors do not even like notes in guides however I consider notes all part of the history and are often very interesting. As is the names you find in some books. If you read my article on my top ten guide books the Ben Nevis guide I love for the very reason its been well used. I often find a "better copy" of a book in which case I replace what I already have.Love your write up and many thanks.

Ben Nevis 1936 SMC (SD010)
This tatty old item came my way when I purchased Preston Mountaineering Clubs collection. No librarian could be found so the committee decided to dispose of the books. I instantly took a liking to this guide, I love the books patina it’s been used as a guide and although sound suffers a large amount of damage. As I collector the ideal is to find a book that is un- read, in “fine” condition however to do this is difficult and sometimes impossible. This copy has seen better days so surprisingly for that reason it makes my top ten.
 bantamdave 03 Apr 2016

Hi Rob, do you collect, the down side of a collection like this in the house is I am not likely to attract a wife ! On balance I like it as it is !!!!!!
 bantamdave 03 Apr 2016
In reply to pneame:

Thank you for the kind words do you collect ?
> Stunning - love his Facebook page

bantamdave 03 Apr 2016
In reply to Hat Dude:

> Sod the guidebooks, he's got a D1 BSA Bantam

Hat Dude, bought the Bantam twenty years ago and restored it to museum quality. Love my bikes and also have a Bantam D10s. Love books love bikes.
 bantamdave 03 Apr 2016
In reply to 67hours:

> I popped into this place http://www.adventurebooks.co.nz/ in Oamaru in NZ last week. In this case, after a lifetime obsession of collecting books the owner is now selling off everything except one small bookcase worth.

> I bought £50 worth and got quite excited.

Wish I lived in New Zealand, I would call in, they have some excellent stock. I do not like purchasing books other than in person so probably wont make a purchase from adventure books but thank you for the link.
 bantamdave 03 Apr 2016
In reply to Henry Iddon:

> Assume our guide book lover visited Lines of Ascent at Heaton Cooper in 2014 which was part of KMF ?

I missed this Henry, now I would love a Heaton Cooper original line drawing, oh that would be something. And probably three or four thousand pounds to boot. Do you collect Henry ?
 bantamdave 03 Apr 2016
In reply to Chris Reid:

Chris Reid this is amazing ! Thank you

bantamdave 03 Apr 2016

I would very much like to expand the number of collectors I know. Especially on UK guide Books. If you know anyone please get in touch. We can swap books and chat.
In reply to Hat Dude:

> Sod the guidebooks, he's got a D1 BSA Bantam

I passed my test on a d14 bantam, then moved on to and A10 650 via a ratty C15
 Henry Iddon 03 Apr 2016
In reply to bantamdave:

I have few guidebooks but my photography book collection probably has more value. Pop in to Heaton Cooper Studio and speak to Beccy.
 Hat Dude 04 Apr 2016
In reply to bantamdave:

My 1st bike was an old Bantam D7 Super
 sdavies141 04 Apr 2016

Hi David,

Just in case you have not come across this one ....

Have you come across the 1923 FRCC Pillar Rock & Neighbouring Climbs by HM Kelly - I have the first edition it is signed on the cover by someone in 1933 .....

Interested to see if its a common tome or not?

Thanks,

Sam
 Sean Kelly 04 Apr 2016

I know that 20 years or so ago a friend of mine had a very similar large mountaineering library, and rated it at number 3 in the UK after the Alpine club & Geoff Milburns collections. Sadly he was killed on Ben Nevis and the collection broken up. He also had complete set of Journals from AC, FRCC, CC & Rucksac Club. But the pride of his collection was an original publication of photos from Victorio Sella.
 pneame 04 Apr 2016
In reply to bantamdave:

> Thank you for the kind words do you collect ?

No, but by virtue of having started climbing at the end of the 60s and my Dad having had a keen interest in mountains, I've got some books that I regard as valuable.

I could, however, see myself accumulating guidebooks at some speed. I seem to have quite a few to places I've never been but had a hankering to visit!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...