UKC

Polney, Dunkeld - unstable rock

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kwoods 31 Mar 2016
A heads up, I was here a few days ago and came across the debris of a previous, but recent rock fall from the top of the rambling ground above the Ivy Crack area. There is now left an overhanging, projecting nose of rock at least several cubic metres in volume. It has slipped a few inches, and may or may not go all together. It psyched me out enough not to dare going underneath it. If/when it does detach it will funnel down the line of PsoriasisPsoriasis (E3 6a) from a height of 30m, potentially (but less likely) encroaching upon Ivy Crack/Hot Tips. Plenty loose stuff, cracks and mud up there. The location is underneath the big pine at 15 metres or so above the Ivy Crack ab/anchor tree.
 Grahame N 05 Apr 2016
In reply to kwoods:

Had a look for myself yesterday evening. I suspect the roots of the pine tree (top belay of Consolation Corner) are prising the rock apart. The unstable lump thats left could fall tomorrow or could hang around for a few years, who knows. When it does go it will probably break into smaller pieces.
However, the chances of anyone being in the firing line when it does go must be fairly remote, but no doubt possible.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...