UKC

PRODUCT NEWS: Dave MacLeod Announces Children's Climbing Book

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 01 Apr 2016
Dave MacLeod doing some research for his upcoming children's book, 4 kbTop all-round climber and training author Dave MacLeod has announced plans to publish a book centred on early climbing development for young children.

"As a parent of a young child, I've seen the benefits that getting into a healthy and rewarding activity such as climbing can have on a child's development in general, so it's not simply about progressing through the grades, it's about setting them up with physical and cognitive skills for life in a fun and balanced manner."

Read more
 BALD EAGLE 01 Apr 2016
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

Very good! Hmmmm now what is today's date then...
 Valkyrie1968 01 Apr 2016
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

You must be great fun at parties.
 Shani 01 Apr 2016

Too easy.
 planetmarshall 01 Apr 2016

Doesn't seem all that far fetched...!
 snoop6060 01 Apr 2016

Well this is certainly more plausible than that pinch mug that costs £25!
 pebbles 01 Apr 2016

"Don't throw your toys out of the pram: Dealing with post-redpoint attempt tantrums"

looking forward to this eagerly
 ChrisBrooke 01 Apr 2016

As a parent of a 14 month old I feel this book could really be useful for me and my wife. While I'm sure our beautiful daughter would like to continue her rather aimless activities such as taking my socks out of the drawer and leaving them around the house, distributing raisins along the gaps between the cushions in our sofas, trying to get over/under/around/through the stair gates, etc, I'm pretty sure her time would be better, more constructively spent in focussed, but fun, regimented training so that she can go on to fulfil my climbing dreams for her, and do all the things that I have planned for her life. Thanks Dave, and thanks UKC for promoting this resource. I look forward to the finished product.
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

It's ok Chris, I'm pretty sure that Dave's proposed follow-up "Campussing for Kids: Dispelling the Myths" will also help your 14 month child reach their full potential - be that in climbing or injury (I'm not sure which).
 mountainbagger 01 Apr 2016

I'm sure there'll be more posts like this once the book is published:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=430842
 ChrisBrooke 01 Apr 2016
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

That would be cool. Hopefully it'll cover finger boarding too. I've just moved to Sheffield and am trying to decide on which wall to hang my finger board. It's important to find the right place, even though I never used it in my last house, and am unlikely to ever touch it in this one.........so perhaps my daughter's bedroom would be perfect. She can hang there while I'm changing her nappy, I'll have the satisfaction of knowing I've a finger board in the house, so am clearly a serious climber, while her finger strength will be off the charts.
 Offwidth 01 Apr 2016
In reply to mountainbagger:

I like that... if you are short, get tips to increase reach
 eltankos 01 Apr 2016
In reply to pebbles:

This is one that could apply to climbers of all ages :P
 Iain Smith 01 Apr 2016
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

Chris, may I suggest using any left-over Sudacrem for her gritstone rash also (sorry for the product placement)? It worked wonders for my kids - at both ends. A couple of lightly sanded planks, bolted to the aforementioned fingerboard, and separated by adjustable winged washes will allow her to develop a rounded approach to jamming (finger to Chicken wing) whilst you change her. Just a thought.
 ChrisBrooke 01 Apr 2016
In reply to Iain Smith:

I hope Dave is taking note of these suggestions. I'm not sure about the chicken winging though. Let's not try to get them to run with advanced jamming techniques before they can, quite literally, walk
 ste mac 09 Apr 2016
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

absolutely love these comments. Can only be appreciated by those already involved. I too need to get a book so my kids can follow my dreams. And I'm already enjoying watching my daughter do 50 sit-ups in the morning instead of me, kind of feels like I've done my exercise for the day!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...