UKC

fitting a finger board

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kingjam 01 Apr 2016
Hi

I am looking a fitting a fingerboard above a door. The room is a loft conversion so all walls are internal MDF type thing ( im not construction or DIY expert )

SO I am planning on putting a 2cm peice of ply above a door from so that the fingerboard handovers the door frame but wondering how to attach everything

Was thinking of gluing the ply and then use tacks to keep it against the internal wall and then attach the fingerboard using wood screws .

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

alx 02 Apr 2016
In reply to kingjam:

Try tapping the wall were you wish to attach the ply baseboard to find the joists, make sure you drill into these - across several different joists if possible to spread the load. Your wall is not likely to be MDF, but plasterboard and may not take the direct outward/downward load if drilled/glued in directly.

Also check - if the doorway is back into the main house then it may have a solid brick or concrete surround behind the plasterboard. I would suggest you use something big like radiator Rawls. I used (10mm by 1100mm) these to fit my beastmaker, it sits on top of a doorframe, goes through the plasterboard then there is a 3-4cm gap before it goes into a solid lintel. Any potential downward flex is killed by the hefty doorframe which I reinforced with some no more nails.

Good luck!
 Cheese Monkey 03 Apr 2016
In reply to kingjam:

I can't really visualise what you've got but don't glue and tac it that will likely pull off wall

Find the studs above door level and screw into those.
 Paul Crusher R 03 Apr 2016
In reply to kingjam:

If you can't get a solution to above the door, you could consider one of these fingerboard mounting boards from Crusher Holds...

http://crusherholds.co.uk/fingerboard-hangboard-mounting-device-2

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...