UKC

Online national mapping Italy and Switzerland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Good evening

Does anyone have a link to an equivalent to the french www.g£oportail for Italy and Switzerland?

Many thanks,
Sam
Post edited at 16:03
 robert-hutton 01 Apr 2016
In reply to La Shamster:
Swiss site called. Switzerlandmobility.ch is good, various scales, download as pdf and free
Post edited at 16:50
In reply to La Shamster:

Spot on thanks guys!
graham F 02 Apr 2016
 digby 02 Apr 2016
In reply to Mark Bull:

Can't actually find a map on that! I've tried before to find mapping for Italy and I could only find historic maps, and very laborious too. I found the link on this useful site http://multiplans.net/en_CartesTopo.htm
 rlrs 02 Apr 2016
In reply to graham F:
For the Swiss online maps whose links have been given, you only get detail equivalent to the 1:50,000 paper maps you can buy, and not down to 1:25,000. For example the contour lines on-line are every 20m, not every 10m.

Edit...now I've realised this isn't entirely true. At some intermediate zoom settings you do see 10m contours, but at the highest zoom it's only 20m. I haven't tried printing out a 1:25,000 scale version from the site lately, though.
Post edited at 10:51
 Mark Bull 03 Apr 2016
In reply to digby:

Ah, OK, try http://www.pcn.minambiente.it/viewerMobile/ then click on Servizi -> Immagini and select Carta IGM scala 25.000
All a bit clunky, but it seems to work for me.
 digby 03 Apr 2016
In reply to Mark Bull:

Which doesn't work on a desktop. I found a way on the other. In Strumenti mappa click the 'duplica mappa' button. This gives a split screen and you can choose the 25k map view for the second window. You can't make it the main window.

It has the worst interface it's been my misfortune to encounter for some time now.
graham F 03 Apr 2016
In reply to rlrs:

Swiss 1:25000 paper maps are 20m contours...

Geoadmin.ch shows the 1:25 maps.
 rlrs 03 Apr 2016
In reply to graham F:

Hi Graham,

I have one of the new 1:25,000 maps from 2014 (1089 Aarau), and the contours are now at 10m intervals. On this site they detail the changes between the old and new maps (with the updates still ongoing):

http://www.swisstopo.admin.ch/internet/swisstopo/en/home/topics/nlk.html

...however, I don't find any mention of the increased contour resolution on these pages. Nevertheless, it has changed, at least around Aarau!

Richard
 jon 03 Apr 2016
In reply to rlrs:

I have a feeling that contour spacing on Swiss 1:25000 maps varies according to altitude or for flat areas of Switzerland. I'm sure I've been caught out with this around the Fribourg area where it was 10m instead of the expected 20m...?
 rlrs 03 Apr 2016
In reply to jon:

Maybe the swiss contour spacing is variable, I do have confused recollections about it. Not very helpful if it is, though. I'm going to check some old maps now, and quite possibly some more at the shops tomorrow!
 jon 03 Apr 2016
In reply to rlrs:
On the occasion I refer to I was ski touring at a place called les Paccots near le Moléson. The contours made us think that we were going to get a nice descent, but it turned rather flat... it was at that moment that the penny (franc) dropped. I recall one of the guys I was with reckoned that if a certain proportion of the terrain covered by the map was under (say?) 1000m then they used 10m spacing (and vice versa 20m). This is rather hazy as it was 20+ years ago and I'm not sure if maybe it was a guess on his behalf.
Post edited at 20:53
mysterion 04 Apr 2016
In reply to jon:

Knew I saw this somewhere. On both old and new 1:25000 maps:

10m Jura Mountains and Plateau
20m Alps

http://www.swisstopo.admin.ch/internet/swisstopo/en/home/products/accessori...
Post edited at 06:29
 jon 04 Apr 2016
In reply to mysterion:

There you go, well done, that fits in exactly with my experience. Worth also noting the interval difference between French and Swiss maps along the border - it's always steeper in France...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...