UKC

Mount Kinabalu

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ams558 04 Apr 2016
Just wondering if any of the UKC masses have been up this mountain and have any recommendations of companies? Alternatively does anyone know if you can do it without a guide or do you have to be accompanied?

I also read somewhere about via ferrata on the mountain, is that the normal route or a different way up?

Any general advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Alex
 Dave the Rave 04 Apr 2016
In reply to ams558:

> Just wondering if any of the UKC masses have been up this mountain and have any recommendations of companies? Alternatively does anyone know if you can do it without a guide or do you have to be accompanied?

> I also read somewhere about via ferrata on the mountain, is that the normal route or a different way up?

> Any general advice would be appreciated.

> Many thanks,

> Alex

I remember a few years ago that some soldiers descended in a storm and ended up lost in the jungle for days.
 lummox 04 Apr 2016
In reply to ams558:

My info is 7 years old so things may have changed. I went along to the national park HQ, chatted to a couple of other people who wanted to go up and we were assigned a guide. I'm pretty sure they won't let you on the hill without one. The voie normale and via ferrata are different.

Hope you enjoy- just to say that it can be 2-3c on the summit and the hut at 3300m that I stayed in wasn't too warm. In retrospect, a fleece liner would've made for a better night's sleep.
 sillysquiggle 04 Apr 2016
In reply to ams558:

I climbed it in 2014. You are meant to have a guide and going with a group would work out cheaper. The via ferratta starts just above the refuge and looked fun. We walked up starting at 2am from the refuge to reach the summit at sunrise and to descend before bad weather becomes more likely in the afternoon.
There's a National Geographic film about Alex Honnold climbing up there. It's a stunning mountain.
 deepstar 04 Apr 2016
In reply to ams558:

Yhm.
 Niall_li 04 Apr 2016
In reply to ams558:

I climbed it last year.
Whatever you do don't book it ahead with a tour company - they're extortionate. Better if you have a bit of flexibility on what days you do it and go to the office in kinabalu a day or 2 before, it's about half the price of what you'd pay a tour company.
Mountaintorq run climbing and via ferrata up there, prices are on their website
 Caralynh 04 Apr 2016
In reply to ams558:

I've done the normal route. As others say, just rock up in the office in KK a day or so before. They'll book you a local guide (compulsory) and a space in the hut. Very easy, and going with a local guide means no groups and take it at your own pace. I remember my guide was good company, showed me a lot about the local plants and wildlife. Have a think, though, about how you want to do it. I did what most people do, KK (so sea level) to summit in 24 hrs, and not surprisingly felt a little unwell (fine getting to the top, vomited a couple of times on descent). A British couple we passed were suffering with altitude at the hut, and didn't summit. it is possible to stay at the park HQ overnight first, that's about 1400m I think, then the hut's about 3600m. In hindsight that first overnight would have been a better idea than bus from KK then straight up in one push.
samsingh 04 Apr 2016
In reply to ams558:

You should more towards going in a group which will save a lot of your money and tour guidance time
OP ams558 06 Apr 2016
In reply to ams558:
Thanks everyone for the helpful information and pointers, much appreciated.
 DesperateDan 08 Apr 2016
In reply to ams558:

It's been a while since I was there (1994) but I've heard recently that naked group selfies on the summit of Mount Kinabalu are best avoided That is unless you like Malaysian prison, 5000 Ringgit fines and (potentially) earthquakes!!!
OP ams558 13 Apr 2016
In reply to Caralynh:

Hi Caralynh,

Can you remember roughly what you paid for your trip booking it locally?

Thanks very much.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...