UKC

Are you local?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 04 Apr 2016
Never saw The League of Gentlemen the first time round. I saw an episode here and there but that was all. Just watched the first series and forgot how creepy, dark and sinister it was.

My belly hurts from laughing so much.
In reply to The Lemming:

I think it was the second series that was broadcast directly after the BBC's adaptation of Gormenghast. For all that the latter was supposedly a dark, gothic fantasy*, I thought the League of Gentlemen was much darker; plus it had laughs too.

League of Gentlemen 1, Mervyn Peake 0.

T.
* I read the books (some time ago, admittedly) and thought them dreadful; not dreadful in a dark gothic way, but in an utterly kind of way.
 felt 04 Apr 2016
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

Withdrawn and ruinous it broods in umbra: the immemorial masonry.

I love Peake, unparalleled in the language, as Burgess says in his introduction. Vol 3 not so much.
 antmorgan1991 04 Apr 2016
In reply to The Lemming:
I still can't see a friend without saying hello to them with "Hello Dave, you're my wife now!"
 pneame 04 Apr 2016
In reply to antmorgan1991:

We've watched it 3 times I think - "we didn't burn him" - "dole scum" - "there's a blockage in your toilet..." - in this house, we...."
All valuable phrases, among many
mick taylor 08 Apr 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

You can pretend you are 'local' by trying to sellotape your nose to your forehead. Try it, its hilarious.

One of the best programmes ever.
Andy Gamisou 08 Apr 2016
In reply to The Lemming:
I always assumed it was simply a fly on the wall documentary about Consett.
Post edited at 19:38
 Bulls Crack 08 Apr 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I used to love where it was filmed and then moved to the place where they filmed an xmas edition

I am local

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...