UKC

Ben conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 davkeo 06 Apr 2016
Anybody been up there this week? whats looking good for the days ahead?
 wilkinscl 06 Apr 2016
In reply to davkeo:

Hi,

I was climbing on Saturday and there was certainly good ice to be found in the point 5 area. Anything low down has gone completely (vanishing, curtain, waterfall etc..). However, I think we've reached the time of year when the only way to be sure one day to the next is to take a walk up with a varied rack and do what you can.

All the best, Corin

KA 06 Apr 2016
In reply to davkeo:

Currently fresh snow lying at 750m. Looking at forecasts, it's very promising for some of the higher ice routes for the next week or so at least.
OP davkeo 06 Apr 2016
In reply to davkeo:

Thanks chaps
 bonebag 07 Apr 2016
In reply to davkeo:

Have been on the Ben today. Did the CMD Arete and then up to the Ben. A team topped out of No. 2 Gully Buttress while we were there. Loads of snow on the summit still. Quite soft though. Today was low cloud and about freezing on the summit with some snow showers on and off. Not much wind.
In reply to davkeo:
Is the recent fresh snow now wet/damp and likely to freeze down well at the end of the week or is it more likely to be semi-frozen crudfest that hasn't had enough thaw?

Cheers,

NMM
 NottsRich 11 Apr 2016
In reply to Northern Mountain Monkey:
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Nevis-Range/6day/top

I'd guess consolidated well by the weekend, unless there's fresh.
Post edited at 16:43
 barbeg 11 Apr 2016
In reply to davkeo:

...Point 5 climbed today....

Barbeg
James Jackson 11 Apr 2016
In reply to davkeo:

Has anybody got any info on the cornice situation at the top of Tower Gully at the moment?
 robgixer 12 Apr 2016
In reply to James Jackson:

People were descending tower gully over the weekend. I think there is slot. Some abseiled off a bollard others down climbed.
James Jackson 12 Apr 2016
In reply to robgixer:

Sounds good - thanks.
pdanvers 12 Apr 2016
In reply to KA:

Thanks, planning a visit
paulis 12 Apr 2016
In reply to pdanvers:

Hi, I am visiting Glasgow for work, but planning to go to this area soon. I get my work done on thursday and after that I will take a bus/car there and I plan to climb/hike something. I have a light set of climbing gear from rockshoes to snow/ice (crampons&one light axe) and camping gear as well. First visit to this area, so would be nice if someone is interested to come along. I was planning to go for carn mor dearg (CMD?) arete or ring of steall to have a look to this area. But with company I would be interested on other routes as well. So climbing on fri and sat and weather forecast looks good now. Let me know if someone is planning similar trip, especially from Glasgow!
 bonebag 12 Apr 2016
In reply to paulis:

CMD Arete was good last Thursday (7th). Hadn't been any big thaw up to the weekend so would guess it will still have a good chance of being good next weekend for you.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...