UKC

Drying out a Canon G16?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tall Clare 07 Apr 2016
As one camera arrives, so another one dies... On Saturday my beloved Canon G16 got soaked in a lakeland downpour (on Sunday I got a shiny new 70D but that's not the point). As soon as I realised what had happened the G16 went into a bag with a sachet of silica gel, then when I got home it went into a bag of rice. It had been working fine - firing up, taking shots, etc, with the only damage seeming to be a watermarked rear screen yesterday - but today it's just not playing ball at all. The zoom came out a couple of centimetres, and now won't retract, and the camera won't stay on at all. I've charged the battery to make sure that isn't the issue.

Any suggestions as to how I might bring it back to life, before I trudge off in search of a replacement? I'm gutted as it's been a favourite.
 Dauphin 07 Apr 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:

Fubared. You should not switch it on for days, maybe a week. Prolly shorted a motor. Take the battery out immediately. There are some decent tutorials on YouTube. Most likely to need taking to a repair shop at this point.

D
OP Tall Clare 07 Apr 2016
In reply to Dauphin:

Very excited as it turns out IT LIVES! It'll need a new rear screen but that's cheaper than an insurance claim. Happy days.
In reply to Tall Clare:

Oh, and pro tip for anyone (almost) as stupid as me - carrying unused poo bags at all times means that if you actually remember, you can put things like cameras in them in an emergency. That'll be one for me for next time then... I'm shoving a spare bag in the front of my little Crumpler case for that purpose.
 nough 07 Apr 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:

Those bags are also useful for removing rubbish from Snowdon.

as Dauphin mentioned, remove batteries immediately as some devices take a constant (small) power drain, and batteries can explode if damaged.
 stella1 07 Apr 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:

Glad your camera is working. Just wondering where you got your 70d? I'm thinking of getting one. I was hoping that there would be some good deals now the 80d is out but haven't noticed any.
In reply to stella1:

I believe it came from Jessops - it was a birthday present. I had a look at the 80D but the few tweaks didn't seem worth an extra £300(?)...
In reply to nough:

I didn't know that and will do so in future, if I'm this much of a bonehead again.
In reply to Tall Clare:

I always carry a binbag in my camera bag for those mid-deluge 'save the electronics!' moments. Glad to hear your camera is still alive
 stella1 08 Apr 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:

Thanks, that was my thinking too. Not worth the extra £300.
In reply to Tall Clare:

Perhaps you could have specified "'dog' poo bags"...

sbc_10 09 Apr 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:

I too have a G-16 and find it fantastic....it's the first 'serious' point and shoot I have owned and it is beginning to travel with me into the hills. Just so that I can prepare, how much of a soaking did it receive ? ...on a scale..

zero 0 = few light spots of rain as you were framing the Eigerwand...
Three 3 = Left with paper map in coat top pocket for a few hours in moderate rain. Map damp.
Seven 7= Left outside tent shooting stars as a heavy 20min shower comes in
Ten 10 = Bollox, waterfall 5* UKC shot goes wrong....total submerge !!!....for toooo many seconds...

Just curious, cheers.
Sean.
OP Tall Clare 22 Apr 2016
Hello all,

I can now recommend http://1staidrepairs.co.uk/ (who also trade as http://www.digicamfixer.co.uk/) for replacing an LCD screen and repairing a circuit on a soggy G16.

You know how I said it was working again? It seems it briefly rallied and then keeled over, so I got an estimate for repair before buying a new one or claiming on the household insurance (especially as the camera in question arrived as a result of an insurance claim 18 months ago when a G9 fell in a Canadian lake...). The whole thing cost £136, and turnaround was around 10 days at the outside.

OP Tall Clare 22 Apr 2016
In reply to sbc_10:

Sorry for the late reply. To answer your question, it was around 5 - inside an Osprey rucksack, in a thick Crumpler case, but with heavy drizzle so persistent over the course of four hours of Lakeland trudging that I had to turn the rucksack upside down to empty the water out. The rucksack now has a resident drybag.
 sbc_10 22 Apr 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:

Thanks Clare. Good to here you have resolved the issues. It is a nice piece of kit. I will try to look after it in the Alps this Summer.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...