UKC

Durability and lifetime of running shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LeeWood 09 Apr 2016
So I went up to the shop assistant in my local sports superstore (SW France) and it went like this:

Which of your running shoes are re-soleable?
None.

OK, which will last the longest?
They all have the same lifetime.

And in what manner will they fail at the end of their life, stitching, glue, cracking ?
Actually, the first problem is compression of the midsole cushioning.

Ahh, so which shoe will give in first?
They're all the same.

But they're made with different materials, they're must be some difference?
No!

-------------------------------- end of dialogue ----------------------------

The last time I bought running shoes I ended up with Inov8's, and I've been quite pleased with these. But they're not available directly in France - and they've reduced their range I hear. So, with my ethical persuasion, what's the best choice from the larger commercial fabricants - is their any difference in lifetime ? I'm also considering the ethics of production. I run off-road a great deal but need the cushioning of a road shoe.

ps. I didn't really expect any to be re-soleable !
 Dark-Cloud 09 Apr 2016
In reply to LeeWood:
Erm, not quite sure what your question really is or what the point is you are making but these guys will resolve pretty much anything.......

http://www.cheshireshoe.co.uk/running.asp

Salomon speed cross are a popular and decent choice.....
Post edited at 17:54
 yorkshireman 09 Apr 2016
In reply to LeeWood:

Sounds like you need to find a better shop.

> I ended up with Inov8's, and I've been quite pleased with these. But they're not available directly in France - and they've reduced their range I hear.

My usual running shop is one of the Endurance Shop chain in Gap - the two that run it are excellent, friendly and full of advice. They also had Innov'8s in stock when I was last there.

> I run off-road a great deal but need the cushioning of a road shoe.

I regularly get 1500km (of Alpine trails) out of a pair of Brooks Cascadias before getting a new pair (the version 10 were a blip) - the upper goes before the sole.

OP LeeWood 09 Apr 2016
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Will Cheshire repair Salomon? Do you have any experience of their repair work ?
 Dark-Cloud 09 Apr 2016
In reply to LeeWood:

If it's just the sole unit they will should be able to.

Also look at Lancashire Shoe Repairs, they will even put a studded sole on a road shoe if you like.

http://www.lancashiresportsrepairs.co.uk/running_shoe_repairs.htm
 DancingOnRock 09 Apr 2016
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Thanks. That's awesome!
 SouthernSteve 09 Apr 2016
In reply to LeeWood:

Surely resoling anything but the most flat, unpadded running shoe defeats all the fancy stability, padding and blah blah features. I appear heavy on shoes and 2-300 miles they are usually knackered - and it isn't the sole, its the substance of the upper. Makes life quite expensive regardless of the manufacturer I choose.

I am interested to hear which manufacturers are more or less ethical in their manufacturing.
OP LeeWood 09 Apr 2016
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I had LSR do some boot repairs years ago - these UK repairers are more adventurous than the french - but even these (UK) must be limited by the style of construction.
OP LeeWood 09 Apr 2016
In reply to yorkshireman:

Sadly the nearest Endurance branch is 4hrs drive - strange there's nothing nearer the Pyrenees. I'll look at their mail order options thanks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...