UKC

Good trail and fell running 0- 2 hours from Bristol?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GraMc 10 Apr 2016
Hi all,

I've recently moved to Bristol and looking for some suggestions for good fell and / or trail runs near(ish) Bristol. anything from 10 - 40km.

Cheers for any suggestions,

Graham.
 Uluru 10 Apr 2016
In reply to GraMc:

Hi Graham, there are a lot of off road trails through Leigh Woods and Ashton Court, as well as a pretty flat off road path which runs along the River Avon on the opposite side to the road. You can easily do 10-15 miles on them
OP GraMc 10 Apr 2016
In reply to Uluru:

ah cheers for the reply! Although I should have specified I've already discovered all that lot. looking for stuff a bit further afield?!
 TXG 10 Apr 2016
In reply to GraMc:
Hi Graham - For Fell type stuff head down to Mendip to Burrington Combe/Beacon batch (good parking by the Burrington Inn - shite pub though . Nice limestone Combes and some Moorland. It has it's own fell race in June (see Facebook), you can get a good longer hilly run in by heading out over Dolebury Hillfort through Mendip Lodge wood, then back over Beacon Batch (for a biggie, link in a Cheddar gorge Circuit (some real steepies there).

Crook Peak/Wavering Down (30 mins from Bris?)is a favourite of mine (also has a mini fell race in September - a real beauty (vid here youtube.com/watch?v=Tfoevgk5BLk& ). A lovely ridge up from the South East, a nice pointy summit, another grind to the top of Wavering Down, and a flying descent down Cross plain to Cross (you can also link this to Beacon Batch via the West Mendip Way).

I live in Long Ashton. Nailsea Running club run an Annual off Road 10k from the community centre with 1000ft of ascent. It's really very nice (course here http://www.southvillerunningclub.co.uk/route/ironwood-challenge ) you can link it into Ashton Court runs by following the Quarry path to Longwood lane then dropping down towards LA. I ran the course again on Friday, lovely and quiet with carpets of bluebells (plenty of good hills too)

Further out West there's a great fell scene in South Wales ( http://www.wfra.me.uk/ ), I did a few of the Winter Hill Series this winter and they were ace. Would have done the Sugarloaf race today but went climbing instead.

There are some lovely runs in the quantocks too through the Combes, with some great views from the heathland on top.

Enjoy, and let me know if you want any more suggestions

Tom
Post edited at 21:58
 ben b 11 Apr 2016
In reply to TXG:

Further north also Malvern Hills, Church Stretton and the Shropshire hills (Long Mynd, Stiperstones, Stretton skyline etc) at about 2 hours if traffic OK. Certainly good weekend trips.

b
 riverz 11 Apr 2016
In reply to GraMc:

You could also try the Quantocks, they have decent hills and it can feel quite remote too. There is also an Orienteering Club based there too.
 philipjardine 11 Apr 2016
In reply to GraMc:

in addition to the other suggestions malvern beacon is good
http://www.runbritain.com/race/worcestershire-beacon-race-worcestershire-be...
OP GraMc 11 Apr 2016
In reply to TXG:

cheers Tom - really usefull stuff there.

liz j 11 Apr 2016
In reply to GraMc:

Get yourself upto the Cotswolds, loads of good trails and plenty of hills too.
Some good info on the various parts on this website.
http://www.cotswoldwayrelay.co.uk/CWRstagesroutes.htm
Lower Woods at Wickwar is great for summer running when it dries out and the area around Hawkesbury Upton and Ozleworth is stunning and you can run for miles with barely a road.
 Roadrunner5 11 Apr 2016
In reply to GraMc:

One thing I do is search strava.. look at potential towns around theer on the edge of forests or hills and search say 6 - 15 miles, runs, with the key word 'trails' and set a fair amount of ascent..

In reply to GraMc:
Come to South Wales. Brecon Beacons and Black Mountains have endless, epic trails. The latter are an hour from Bristol.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...