UKC

Snow cover, Grey Corries vs Glen Affric Hills: which is better?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sophie G. 11 Apr 2016

Tomorrow there could be a ski tour from Stob Coire Claurigh westwards. There could also be a ski tour from Toll Creagach westwards. Anyone got first-hand and recent evidence about which would work better?

Evidence that neither would work very well also needs to be heard, I fear :-/

Thanks in advance...

SG
Post edited at 15:32
 DaveHK 11 Apr 2016
In reply to Sophie G.:

From the Loch Trieg hills there looked to be good cover in the Grey Corries down to about 800m. There would certainly be good skiing to be had in the corries although I couldn't say for sure how travelling along the ridge would be.
OP Sophie G. 11 Apr 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

Thanks, Dave.
 inboard 11 Apr 2016
In reply to Sophie G.:

From back of aonach mor on sunday, the grey corries ridge looked plastered and in good nick - we'll be heading that way at the weekend, hopefully, although there's a fair distance to carry skis to and from the snow it definitely looked worthwhile. I'm optimistic that the snow would be skiable to lower than 800m, it was good down to c750 and probably a little lower in coire dubh

There's a new webcam on Winterhighland, looking E(ish) from top of the braveheart chair, which I think gives some idea of grey corries.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes!
 Nemo9 11 Apr 2016
In reply to Sophie G.:

Just back from a tour of the Grey Corries today. Was able to ski from 740 m. Was a bit of a hike to get there . About an hour on forest tracks, followed by an other hour and 20 mins of sequencing uphill. I would take a pair of wellies if you have them ! Snow on the ridge was good, some interesting double cornices but good cover. I only went as far as second munro, can't remember it's name. Looked a bit rockier to next top. Great ski down the corrie. Are you on British Backcountry facebook page ? I can put some photos on there once I get out the bath !
James Jackson 11 Apr 2016
In reply to Sophie G.:

Having skied in the Grey Corries in similar cover two years ago, it's well worth it. As above, it is bloody boggy to get to the snow line, but they are looking in rude health at the moment! I was eyeing up lines on my way back last night...
 inboard 12 Apr 2016
In reply to Nemo9:

Nice pics - assuming they're yours - on british backcountry. Thanks for sharing - looks a great day out.
OP Sophie G. 13 Apr 2016
In reply to all:

Many thanks for the input. We scratched our heads a bit over the weather forecasts, but concluded that the weather would be better in Glen Affric. Well, maybe it was better in Glen Affric, but the skiing wasn't too brilliant. We skinned up Toll Creagach, had to walk to Tom a'Choinich, then skied off as far down as we could. It was all a bit soft and thawed, but we made the best of it by skiing the snow tails lying along burns. We were probably not skiing till about 700m for the most part. A fine day, even if not quite Plan A

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...