UKC

Move to outdoor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JToms 19 Apr 2016
Hi, this has probably being already asked a thousand times, but for someone looking to get into outdoor climbing, which course is best, I'm based in Glasgow and have looked at a few, some seem more guided than actually learning about the "ropes". Looking for something about a week long to give confidence and skills to lead myself on outdoor crags.
Thanks John
In reply to Tomsie:

I personally taught myself to lead indoors and then started sport climbing outdoors. Once i'd done that for a bit, I wanted to get into trad so I did a rock rigging course, built up a few months experience in that and then went on to do a weekend course in trad leading and multipitch.

Lucid_Dreamer 19 Apr 2016
In reply to Tomsie:

Speaking as someone in the same position.....

Personally I've booked in for (this) weekend at PYB on a BMC subsidised course. I'm pretty lucky that there is a fairly active club in my City and I know they would be more than willing to have me tag along, which seems the best route, I'm only going onto a course for the sake of my confidence.

As a newbie I've found nothing but help and understanding from everyone I've spoken to, I'm sure there will be someone somewhere willing to give you a hand without going to the expense of a full week?
 Andy Johnson 19 Apr 2016
In reply to Tomsie:
I did the two-day "Moving Out" course (http://www.pyb.co.uk/courses-detail.php?coursecode=RCC06) at PyB last October and found it very useful. They also have a five-day version which may be exactly what you want. Unlike the two-day, I believe it includes multi-pitch and some leading.

I wrote a short review of the course on the PyB site (follow the link and click Customer Reviews) so I won't repeat it here.

Andy
Post edited at 10:37
 jezb1 19 Apr 2016
In reply to Tomsie:
Glenmore Lodge is the obvious choice up your way, but there's lots of really good independent Instructors and Guides too.

Check out http://www.ami.org.uk for a list.
Post edited at 11:03
 Billhook 20 Apr 2016
In reply to Tomsie:

Get a book on climbing.
Get a mate.
Find a crag.
Go climbing outdoors.

(But don't forget to read the instructions in the book first)
In reply to JToms:

If you can find someone else to split the cost consider hiring an instructor. You can negotiate with them exactly what you want in terms of routes and instruction. I'd but a book and read that first. Useful to have help equalising anchors for the first time. A waste of time paying some one to go through the principles.

Max Hunter 21 Apr 2016
In reply to JToms:

Hi John. My name is Max Hunter, and I run www.huntermountaineering.co.uk . I can offer bespoke climbing courses (private guiding/instruction) from 1-5 days which can introduce you to the outdoor climbing world. Best wishes.
In reply to Dave Perry:

> Get a book on climbing.

> Get a mate.

> Find a crag.

> Go climbing outdoors.

> (But don't forget to read the instructions in the book first)

I almost agree with this. But I think at some point some one you need an experienced person to look at some belays and runner placements so you get an opinion on whether they are any good. But if money or climbing friends are in short supply that could just be asking people at the crag.

Billhook 21 Apr 2016
In reply to JToms:

You're right of course John, I should have said that. Perhaps joining a club is a 1st stop for finding a mentor who needs an apprentice.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...