UKC

How often do you fall off your bike?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ThunderCat 22 Apr 2016
I'm by no means a serious biker. Commute to work on a mountain bike about 75% of the time and drive the rest (about 8 miles each way). When the weather is nice I like to get out to the hills around here (Derbyshire, Buxton, Goyt Valley). A nice occasional 'big' day would be around the 40-50 mile mark (60-70 would be a good day). Signed up for the 100 mile Cheshire loop in September. Done a couple of 3 to 4 day jaunts with the lads from work (coast to coast, Glasgow to Inverness). It's the only real form of exercise I get. Speed is never the focus, it's just to do some miles, sweat a lot, feel knackered (which I always am) and deserving of a couple of pints at the end of it.

I fell of my bike a few days ago and arsed myself up slightly.

Came down a bit of a hill, hit the bottom, started the incline...knocked it down to a low gear..(chain ring on the smallest cog)...stood up in the pedals..started to pedal hard....and then I was on the floor with the car behind me skidding to a halt a couple of feet away from my head.

Seems the chain had come off the chain rings. Thought the pedal stalk had snapped off (that's happened before). All my right side is knackered...Knee is fooked, elbow is fooked, hip is fooked...and now all my neck and shoulders are freezing (probably from the jarring effect of hitting the deck)

I seem to have a fall about once a year. Pretty much always my fault - tram tracks, pedal stalk snapping off, missed a curb once or twice.

This is by far the worst. My whole right thigh and hips looks like an aubergine.

Wondered what the average miles / fall ratio is?
 The New NickB 22 Apr 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:

Not come off for about twenty years, miuntain biking back then. Either off road or a couple of doors opened on to me in London traffic.

A few close calls on a road bike, but no downs.

Cheshire 100 is an easy introduction as 100 milers go.
 Dave the Rave 22 Apr 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:

Is your seat too high and are you top heavy?
 coinneach 22 Apr 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:

When I was a " serious " mountain biker I would come off maybe once a year. I then had a big accident and have only come off once since.

Now on road mainly and have had no falls ( fingers crossed)

OP ThunderCat 22 Apr 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

> Not come off for about twenty years, miuntain biking back then. Either off road or a couple of doors opened on to me in London traffic.

> A few close calls on a road bike, but no downs.

> Cheshire 100 is an easy introduction as 100 milers go.

Christ, have I just got a terrible sense of balance or something? First fall was from a standstill at traffic lights. Light turned green and I stood up and tried to power forward/ Pedal snapped off. Bang.

Second was going from road up a curb. Misjudged, fell off.

Been squeezed between the curb and a car and came off.

Tram tracks in the dark.

Yeah I've done the cheshire loop a few times now - 60 miler twice I think, and the 100 miler once. It's nice and flat. Done the Manchester to Blackpool run as well.

psaunders 22 Apr 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:

As a regular commuter / few road rides per week I tended to fall off about once per year. Never anything very serious: bruising, cuts, a few facial stitches, concussion once. Causes were various - ice several times, greasy roads, strong winds, collision with another cyclist, hit by a falling tree branch, once where I don't remember (concussion).

No idea what my falls/km was, and obviously any falls are unpleasant but there's a level where you start to accept it as inevitable. As long as it's this relatively harmless sort then it's ok. Collisions with cars is a different matter, and I have been fortunate to avoid those. I've just moved to a big city with trams and it's a bit terrifying having been in rural Devon for a while.
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> Is your seat too high and are you top heavy?

It's quite a big bike, so the seat is fairly low.

I'm six foot four and just over 20 stone (so not just top heavy....)

Pedal snapping off / chain jumping the rings is something you're not going to recover from regardless of your weight, is it? (is it?)

I think at the moment I've got a bit of a mental wobble going on. Falling off is a pain in the arse and I've had a couple of days of discomfort...what's bothering me more now is that sudden worry of 'what if it happens again and the car behind me doesn't stop in time'
In reply to psaunders:

> As a regular commuter / few road rides per week I tended to fall off about once per year. Never anything very serious: bruising, cuts, a few facial stitches, concussion once. Causes were various - ice several times, greasy roads, strong winds, collision with another cyclist, hit by a falling tree branch, once where I don't remember (concussion).

> No idea what my falls/km was, and obviously any falls are unpleasant but there's a level where you start to accept it as inevitable. As long as it's this relatively harmless sort then it's ok. Collisions with cars is a different matter, and I have been fortunate to avoid those. I've just moved to a big city with trams and it's a bit terrifying having been in rural Devon for a while.

Not Manchester by any chance is it?

I tend to view cars with 'there's a 99% chance you're a complete retard' mentality and always assume the worst, so give them a wide berth. No real dings yet. When I say it was a tram track that made me fall down, that's not strictly true...I cycle through Salford Quays on the way to work and there used to be two old blue cranes at the side of the tram track (sort of preserved monuments). I was cycling by the side of the tram tracks, alongside these two cranes, unaware that they themselves were actually on tracks. My front tyre went down one of these. I was lucky enough to be witnessed by about 300 morning commuters falling on my arse.
 balmybaldwin 22 Apr 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:
In the last 20 years of riding I've fallen very few times really. I've been taken out by a car on a roundabout once about 10 years ago, but otherwise never fallen on road.

Off road I've had a few spills - normally when pushing it or stupid stall falls. about 6 years ago I started doing "bigger" off road stuff in the alps etc, but I armour up for it, even then I've only had a couple of falls.

I guess experience keeps me within my limits. there's certainly things I used to do (when 15-6) that I wouldn't dream of now jumping wise.

This of course excludes "messing around" trying wheelies, stoppies, jumping of random stuff etc
Post edited at 20:16
 the sheep 22 Apr 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:
Randomly yesterday on the commute home. Took a different route home and whilst avoiding a pot hole hit a concealed Boulder at the side of the track. Straight over the handlebars, lost skin off elbow knee and hip and possible broken big toe so could have been worse. Totally my own fault for not paying enough attention. Still was able to cycle again today. Time before would have been the previous winter sliding off on some ice.
Post edited at 20:45
 AndyC 22 Apr 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:

Managed an entire Norwegian winter without coming off. Usually come off a few times on the ice but last winter was unusually ice free. Only one serious accident in the last 8 years - broken elbow after being knocked off by another cyclist. Decided I don't like pain so I am a bit more cautious now!
In reply to AndyC:

> Managed an entire Norwegian winter without coming off. Usually come off a few times on the ice but last winter was unusually ice free. Only one serious accident in the last 8 years - broken elbow after being knocked off by another cyclist. Decided I don't like pain so I am a bit more cautious now!

Quite mad really, isn't it. Done the glasgow to inverness route (200 miles over 4 days_ with the lads without a single incident (not even a puncture), and then on the quiet leafy lanes of styal I get a touchdown and nearly go under the wheels of a car.
 psaunders 22 Apr 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:

Nope, I'm over in Toronto. It has trams ('streetcars' I should say) and plenty of crazy drivers. There's also the issue that almost all roads, including the big ones, have street parking in the outside lane. It'll take me a while to get used to it.

Might still be better than Manchester, by all accounts.
 TobyA 22 Apr 2016
In reply to AndyC:

> Managed an entire Norwegian winter without coming off.

Studded tyres? In Helsinki I rarely fell once putting them on, but frosty autumn mornings before I wanted them on led to a number falls over the years!
Back in the UK, commuting in Sheffield in 6 months I went down twice hard, once having to cross the dreaded tram tracks - known and loathed by most Sheff cyclists it seems! - and once when another cyclist came round a corner on the wrong side of a narrow cyclepath and just went straight into me.
 AndyC 22 Apr 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:

> Quite mad really, isn't it. Done the glasgow to inverness route (200 miles over 4 days_ with the lads without a single incident (not even a puncture), and then on the quiet leafy lanes of styal I get a touchdown and nearly go under the wheels of a car.

It's been close once or twice. Came off in front of a van one time, fortunately he managed to stop despite the ice. My reaction was to drag myself and the bike off to the side of the road, give the driver a highly embarassed smile and a wave and then start to assess the damage (lost toenail!). I guess some people would have launched into a 'keep your effin distance' tirade but it was the last thing on my mind.

I find it normally goes OK if I let my subconcious have control. When my concious brain starts trying to get involved, saying 'don't hit that pothole' or 'coming off here would be really bad', it's likely to go pear shaped! But mechanical failure like you experienced is a different issue.
 abr1966 22 Apr 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:
Had a very close shave tonight when a car pulled out on me....had to overtake it to not hit it but went into the oncoming lane, luckily no cars but nearly hit another bike!
I came off twice last year, both mountain biking at low speed and caused by me bottling it on technical downhill sections. Don't be surprised to be a bit traumatised by it....especially if it was a close shave with a car!
I've decided to stick to road cycling now....I'm 51 and falling off hurts and also makes my whole body sore for a long time...
Post edited at 21:30
 AndyC 22 Apr 2016
In reply to TobyA:

> Studded tyres?

Oh yes - I have piggs in my dekks but I still come off, usually when the ice has been compacted to armoured glass consistency and the front wheel slips into one rut and the rear wheel into another! Then there's usually only one way it's going to end.
 Mal Grey 22 Apr 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:

When mountain biking, yeah, about once a year sounds right for a proper crash which end up with at least impressive bruises. Then there are a few silly ones where you just fall sideways at low/no speed, or do a slow forward dismount when the front wheel does something you thought you'd told it not to. The latter are roughly quarterly, based on weekly riding.

I'm a bit worried, as I started mountain biking regularly again last summer, after a 5-6 year break with almost none. And I haven't had that crash yet....so statistically likely between now and August. Bugger.

Then again, it could just be my crap riding and statistics are a load of old....

TobyA 22 Apr 2016
In reply to AndyC:

> usually when the ice has been compacted to armoured glass consistency and the front wheel slips into one rut and the rear wheel into another! Then there's usually only one way it's going to end.

I feel ya cuz!

I was always amazed how with the studs you can ride on smooth, glass ice and not fall. In Helsinki it was often on late spring mornings when the cycles paths were clear and dry but big snow banks still next to them. You would get melting from them that then freezes over night, next morning going to work - 20 mtr stretches of tarmac covered in ice like a rink! Either get off and push, or moment of truth in the quality of your tyres, just ride on!

wilkesley 22 Apr 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:

Tempting fate here... about once every couple of years. Both recent one caused by mechanical problems. A couple of years ago I went over the handlebars when my chain broke when standing up on the pedals. Landed in a nice soft patch of nettles!

About a month ago, standing up on pedals (is there a pattern here), chain jumped off big ring at front and got jammed. Straight over the bars and in my efforts to avoid face planting the road landed on my elbow. Thought I had broken it at first, but after a few minutes decided it was just painful. Right foot didn't unclip and got jammed between wheel and frame. Managed to free myself, but front wheel was bent. I straightened it enough by bending it between a gate and post to cycle the three miles home. Elbow still hurts!
 gethin_allen 22 Apr 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:

I used to fall off regularly when mountain biking but rarely anything serious, landing in mud and being relatively well clothed. Since I've been road cycling more I seem to hurt myself about every 2 years, normally at low speed but with more serious consequences: broken wrists and massive (about 8 inches across) thigh bruise that still hurts almost a year on.
 routrax 23 Apr 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:

Snapping pedals? Seriously?
I've never snapped a pedal in 40yrs of riding.
 LastBoyScout 23 Apr 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:

Come off every now and then mountain biking - last time resulted in me buying knee/shin pads, to avoid more gravel rash. I've worn elbow/forearm pads mountain biking for years, as I've got chipped elbows from a hired mountain bike that fell apart on me on holiday

If you're not falling off, you're not trying hard enough :-D

A mate of mine regularly spanners himself falling off his mountain bike - last time he went over the bars and managed to break his back, narrowly avoiding a helicopter ride to spinal injuries unit.

Only time I've come off the road bike that I remember was due to some idiot suddenly cutting across me and clipping my front wheel - no reason for him not to have held his line.
 Mike Stretford 23 Apr 2016
In reply to ThunderCat: Twice in the last ten years, chain slip both times. My own fault both times, one a bodged single speed conversion, second a rushed chain replacement.

Mike Stretford 23 Apr 2016
In reply to routrax:

> Snapping pedals? Seriously?

> I've never snapped a pedal in 40yrs of riding.

Me neither, but I don't doubt it can happen. Try searching the Web if you can't believe it.
 TobyA 23 Apr 2016
In reply to Mike Stretford:
Chain skipping or slipping can be a 'mare! I remember commuting home one night, stopped at crossing, pushed hard on the pedals (highish gear I guess) to get going, chain slipped - all that effort down gets turned into forward momentum. The inside of my thigh went into the back of the stem. The result was one of the biggest and deepest bruises I've ever had and pain walking for days afterwards. Still bike the 25 kms home though.
Post edited at 10:41
 AndyC 23 Apr 2016
In reply to wilkesley:

> Elbow still hurts!

Might be worth getting an x-ray - when I broke mine I could still use my arm to straighten the bike. By the time I got home it was swelling up like a balloon. Had to have it pinned and wired under general anaesthetic.
 DaveHK 23 Apr 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:

Hardly ever on the road, all the time off road.

On road it's always been due to an obvious cause like ice, oil, railway tracks or a mechanical. Off road it's usually down to user error.
 MikeR 23 Apr 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:

In recent memory -
Once last year in an offroad triathlon due to a total disregard of the physics of cornering.
Twice in the last two weeks on my shiny new road bike due to it being the first time using spds, luckly while no one was around to see!
OP ThunderCat 23 Apr 2016
In reply to routrax:
> Snapping pedals? Seriously?

> I've never snapped a pedal in 40yrs of riding.

Yup, not the pedal itself (the bit you clip onto)...the long strut that it's attached to (I don't know the name of it).(*)

By some bizarre coincidence, about a month later I was at a different set of lights and when they turned green the cyclist in front powered off, and the same thing happened to him. Snapped clean off, and he's on the ground in a crumpled heap.

But apart from those two occurrences I've never personally heard of it happening to anyone else.

Maybe there was some serial pedal saboteur in the south manchester area at the time

Edit -> (*) - Crank Arm?
Post edited at 11:37
OP ThunderCat 23 Apr 2016
In reply to MikeR:

> Twice in the last two weeks on my shiny new road bike due to it being the first time using spds, luckly while no one was around to see!

Mine have always been in at the front of long lines of traffic, or stationary trams full of morning commuters.

Joy
 MikeR 23 Apr 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:

Thankfully once was at a junction on a quiet country road, the other was arriving at my house to be deposited at my front door in an undignified heap.

I'm too paranoid in traffic at the moment, making sure a foot is unclipped well in advance.
 routrax 23 Apr 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:
Ah, crank arms!
Yes, heard of them breaking, never had it happen, but I'd imagine it could cause quite bad injuries if you were pedaling hard.

Look at tubular steel arms if you need something stronger. BMX or MTB ones should be pretty strong.
Post edited at 13:24
 TobyA 23 Apr 2016
In reply to routrax:

Broke the crank clean through off an Alivio crankset back in the 90s, but haven't done it since on various bikes with various cranks, and a lot more miles. Perhaps quality has improved?
 balmybaldwin 23 Apr 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:

Never done a crank by pedalling, but I've caught one on a rock in the alps and left the pedal & half a crank behind
 Fraser 23 Apr 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:

Back in January of this year I came off my bike twice ... in the one day! My excuse was that it was in snow both times, (and was still getting used to SPDs) but it was still quite embarrassing as I was on run with some young colleagues. Other than that day, I've only come off one other time, when I took a tight bend too fast on what must have been black ice. Fortunately it was on a pedestrian path and no risk of other injury.

Hope the aubergine heals soon!
 ChrisJD 24 Apr 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:

> Q: How often do you fall off your bike?

Every ride, usually more than once.

It's all part of the fun.
Rigid Raider 24 Apr 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:

When I was a mountain biker no ride was complete withut a fall or two but they were always at slow speed on soft ground. Since moving over to the road I've only fallen off twice in five years and those occasions were within a minute of each other when I fell of the crosser on black ice each side of the A6 on the Preston Guildwheel.
 routrax 24 Apr 2016
In reply to TobyA:

I'd like the think the quality has improved.
I'll be checking my cranks before the commute tomorrow morning though!
 Brass Nipples 24 Apr 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:

On the road bike, once in 40 years on some black ice. Mountain bike some comedy slow speed off in muddy / swampy ground.

coinneach 24 Apr 2016
In reply to Lion Bakes:

My second sorest fall was after a couple of loops at Newcastleton 7 stanes.

Very icy day but the trails were fine , being sheltered by trees.

I swung into the car park on the way back and the cattle grid had a covering of black ice.

F*cking Ouch!
 AlanLittle 25 Apr 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:
Three times that I can remember in my adult life. Causes: (1) black ice, (2) tram tracks, (3) beer.

The black ice one caused a back spasm that crippled me for a couple of weeks.

Edit: forgot one. (4) hit a parked car while taking evasive action from another car that pulled out in front of me
Post edited at 09:32
 cousin nick 25 Apr 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:

I have a few slow speed stalls/falls on the MTB, mostly due to not unclipping in time!
On the road bike, I am a complete wuss these days having witnessed the aftermath of a few road bike incidents. As a result, I'm a cautious descender, and I tend to avoid major roads. Even on the minor lanes here in Cornwall, the high hedges, poor surfaces and poor visibility means that I take it easy when I can't see a good way ahead.
Last accident I saw was a head on between cyclist and Land Rover Defender in a narrow lane - cyclist snapped both lower legs! Makes you think.

N
 krikoman 25 Apr 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:

Fallen off my Mtn bike once in 12 years, slow motion over the handle bars but not hurt.

Fell off my motor bikes 13 times ( I used to like going fats around corners), no real injuries there either.

Get well soon.
 RX-78 25 Apr 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:

when I was a bit younger and a lot more reckless I had bike-car collisions about twice a year, but was doing over 6,000 miles a year on London streets during rush hour, thanks to my commutes (ranged from 15 miles up to 25 miles each way) and general cycling. I have reduced the mileage to about half that and slowed down and now rarely fall at all, last fall was on ice in winter about 2 years ago.
cb294 25 Apr 2016
In reply to AndyC:

Spikes are great, one just has to learn trusting them in corners: Since the side spikes get worn down less quickly, grip often improves when you lean in, but it still psyches me out. As for the frozen ruts, speed stabilizes! Also, pedal straps help with pulling a sliding wheel back under your centre of gravity, but again, this can be very unnerving.

To the OP: A couple of sideways falls on black ice before I had a dedicated winter bike with spike tires, one crash into the back of a parked car trying to avoid oncoming traffic in my lane, one judo roll with bike - all the way back up to standing - when oversteering to avoid a brick in my lane in a sharp and fast corner (100m before the shop when cycling to buy my first helmet!), and a couple of crashes due to equipment failure (broken stem --> quick bath in the village pond, several incidents of chains snapping --> borderline self castration....).

Guess that pretty much was it for the last 40 years, the training wheels seem to do a great job!

CB
 nniff 25 Apr 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:
On the road bike:

One operator error on a bend - got up close and personal with a very large patch of nettles.
One compulsory stationary prat fall with each different type of pedal (SPD and SPD SL)

Knocked off by a car twice - one involved a trip to hospital in an ambulance, but the other, just a hop off smartly rather than trying to stay with the bike when it was clearly not going to end well . The first one turned out well - I jarred my spine severely - they thought I might have fractured my pelvis. However, I used to have a bad back - not any more
Post edited at 12:43
 Dogwatch 25 Apr 2016
Twice in 15-ish years. Both low-speed topples while clipped in. Pilot error. One approaching a t-junction when clipped in and having a yes I will/no I won't moment and the other in deep ruts off-road. No great damage in either case except to my pride.

But I'm a fairly cautious, fair-weather and daylight cyclist. Aiming to become an old one in due course.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...