UKC

Garmin 810 maps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lynsety 23 Apr 2016
Hi,

Anyone got the garmin 810. I'm after maps for riding on the road and trail. Which maps are best? If you get the OS trail maps are they the best ones to cover it all?!

Are the free versions any good?

Lynsey.
 Joez 23 Apr 2016
In reply to Lynsety:

Try the free ones before you pay through the nose.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/download-garmin-705800810.html
 Indy 23 Apr 2016
In reply to Lynsety:

I originally bought the 'ultimate' edition of the Edge 810 which came with OS mapping and I can tell you it was a COMPLETE nightmare. The screen is far too small to display all the information and if you zoom in or out it either over zooms or gives you so little detail its useless. I hated the 810 with a vengeance.... I got the Edge 1000 on the day it was released and the 810 has sat in a draw ever since.
OP Lynsety 24 Apr 2016
In reply to Indy:

Really?! Think I might go check one out in a shop then before buying. Just seems cheaper to buy the package with maps rather than separately if I do get one.

If yours is stuck in a drawer and I still like the 810 would you consider parting with it?

Lynsey.
 Chris the Tall 25 Apr 2016
In reply to Lynsety:

Got the OS maps pre-loaded on mine - I think it was something like an extra £50 as a package, but over £100 as a later add-on. You can get open source maps - either free or for around £10 - do a search on OSMcycle maps I think.

As has been said, the device is awkward to use for on-the spot navigation due to it size and slow speed - if I get really lost I tend to get my phone out and use the Motion-x app, which itself uses open source maps. But most of the time it fine for simply confirming where I am.

So my advice to you, given that you haven't got the OS maps preloaded - is give the open source maps a try.
OP Lynsety 25 Apr 2016
In reply to Chris the Tall:

So maybe the 1000 is better then if you're prepared to pay the cash?
 Chris the Tall 25 Apr 2016
In reply to Lynsety:

Possibly - but I've only got the 810, so I can't say! A bigger screen would be very useful for navigation on the fly, but it's fine for viewing your stats. Have a look at DC Rainmaker's reviews
 alan ashmore 26 Apr 2016
In reply to Lynsety:

I'd go down the littlejoe route and dcrainmaker. I have and I use free maps on road and MTB and all around Europe. Just go to the site following the instructions was easy and I'm really not good with that sort of thing. FREE is the key
 LittleRob 26 Apr 2016
In reply to Lynsety:

To echo what others have said, I used the dcrainmaker instructions to add maps to my son's Garmin 520 and it worked fine (and for a non-contiguous area too).

Rob
OP Lynsety 26 Apr 2016
In reply to LittleRob:

Okay thanks. Will go down that route then. Thanks everyone

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...