UKC

Youtube confusion?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 26 Apr 2016
Anybody know the magic formula for rendering video and then uploading to Youtube for pin-sharp results?

I can see many pin-sharp videos on youtube land yet when I upload stuff it looks like a pile of pixels shot by a punter with a toy camera.
OP The Lemming 26 Apr 2016
In reply to The Lemming:
Here's an example of what I mean by excellent quality versus my playground pixels.

youtube.com/watch?v=T30MjDAwgZs&
youtube.com/watch?v=jA3TpopmSvw&

And then there is mine.

youtube.com/watch?v=nTZ3V1AmUO8&

I've even noticed when I upload to youtube with 1080 or 720, the image quality still can't compete with other stuff.

Obviously I am going wrong somewhere in the process from capture to publishing on youtube, but where?
Post edited at 14:25
 Indy 26 Apr 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Use a high bit rate
No crappy Codecs
Progressive or de-interlace before uploading.
In reply to Indy:

> Use a high bit rate

> No crappy Codecs

> Progressive or de-interlace before uploading.

Don't suppose you could flesh out that a bit more for me please?

My initial video was 60Mb per second, however I have now changed that to 100Mbps

As for codecs, I use Premier Elements and it chooses H.264

I'm guessing that I use progressive rather than interlacing but this is all a complex dark magic kind of stuff.

Cheers
 Indy 26 Apr 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

H.264 is fine as is 100Mbs

Don't over compress the file as youtube will recompress it..... give it the biggest file you reasonably can.

You must de-interlace your footage if you want any sort of quality.

Also I'm using Apple Compressor which has a setting for "Publish to YouTube" might be worth checking if your software has this as it's likely to know all the best settings.

In reply to Indy:

> You must de-interlace your footage if you want any sort of quality.

I'm guessing that my footage is de-interlaced 'out of the box'. Could be wrong there.

> Also I'm using Apple Compressor which has a setting for "Publish to YouTube" might be worth checking if your software has this as it's likely to know all the best settings.

Would it be a good idea to let Adobe Premier Elements publish direct to youtube land?

richprideaux 26 Apr 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Things like colour-grading and contrast adjustments can make a difference - not to sharpness, but if you could drop the exposure a bit in your test image it would make a huge difference.

Fraser 26 Apr 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I had the same issues with YouTube and figured that the easiest option was to switch to Vimeo. Much better IMO.
 Indy 26 Apr 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

> I'm guessing that my footage is de-interlaced 'out of the box'. Could be wrong there.

> Would it be a good idea to let Adobe Premier Elements publish direct to youtube land?

My experience of this is that each camera and piece of software is different meaning that there is in my opinion no specific answer to what the best settings are. I remember a few years ago HD was the must have camcorder feature.

I'd get maybe 10 shots of 5 seconds and then have a play with the setting and see what comes out best. Did I mention about de-interlacing your footage?
OP The Lemming 27 Apr 2016
In reply to Indy:

> Also I'm using Apple Compressor which has a setting for "Publish to YouTube" might be worth checking if your software has this as it's likely to know all the best settings.

I had a go at letting my copy of Adobe Premier Elements have a go at publishing a small video and I have to say, I am impressed with how good a job its done.

youtube.com/watch?v=dCBf_1h3Xpk&

Fraser 27 Apr 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Only watched that on the mobile but I'd say it's pretty good, I'd be happy with that. In my experience, it always seems to be moving elements which cause the most problems, and all the movement in yours displayed well.
AnnaDanishek 27 Apr 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I will never get it

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...