UKC

Lakes family walk suggestions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Trevers 26 Apr 2016
I'm planning a family trip to the Lake District later in May. We're hoping to walk up Scafell Pike or another high and iconic fell.

My mother is physically quite strong but isn't very sure-footed. A couple of years ago I led her up Snowdon via the Ranger path then down via the Llanberis path. I don't think she'd be able to manage anything much more difficult than this. She'd dearly love to get up Scafell Pike but I'm under the impression that it's a more challenging ascent and I've already let her know that we may have to settle for another hill.

Any suggestions? I'm looking for some considerable height and great views, preferably in the heart of the park.
 toad 26 Apr 2016
In reply to Trevers:

Coniston Old Man ticks most of your boxes, but is perhaps a little too far south for the "heart" of the park. Lovely, straightforward and iconic walk, though
 Tom the tall 26 Apr 2016
In reply to Trevers:
The terrain going on the main track up Skiddaw is straightforward, although a bit relentless and dull. Great gable is right at the heart of the park and has historical significance. Various routes up which would allow for your mum's needs.
 John R 26 Apr 2016
In reply to Trevers:
Great End from Wasdale Head via Esk Hause gets you right to the heart of things without any real difficulty. Excellent views on the way and pretty panoramic from the summit, John Rowlands.
In reply to Trevers:

I'd say Old Man of Coniston. But go up via Goats Water down the main route. It's not the heighest of peaks but this is a lovely walk, so what is not to enjoy. I did this walk with an extended group including some who were less fit and mobile, everyone loved it.

Its so long since I've been out over Swirl Howe and Wetherlam, but are they on good terrain once you are up there?
J1234 26 Apr 2016
In reply to Trevers:

Possibly Scafell. It is hard to put myself in these shoes but if you park near the Boot Inn and ascend and pass Burnmoor Tarn, I am pretty sure there is a good path up from just where you start to drop into Wasdale (I tend to strike up by the side of a beck when I do this walk, but that is quite rough) then on the return you can descend via Sightside, which bar one section is quite a gentle descent. I love Scafell, always feel it is the conissoers fell compared to Scafell Pike when I look over at the crowds.
 john1963 26 Apr 2016
In reply to Lenin:
Bowfell at the head of Langdale .alot easier to reach than Scafell and one of the best high fells of the lakes..Great views over to the Scafell pike over Eskdale the most dramatic valley in the lakes.
just a note Scafell Pike is definitely no harder than your walk up Snowdon if done from Wasdale.
Post edited at 23:23
J1234 27 Apr 2016
In reply to john1963:

If it is being up high, and not the walk that is the goal, park at three shire stones and Crinkle Crags and possibly Bowfell are good options.
 Trangia 27 Apr 2016
In reply to Trevers:

IIRC a really lovely walk is along the western side of Derwent Water along Borrowdale gradually ascending along the east flank of High Spy until you ascend a steep valley to the col turning north to follow the lovely easy ridge over Maiden Moor and Catbells and down to Hawes End. Although not a particularly high level route it is classic Lakeland fell country with magnificent views over Derwent water to Keswick and Skiddaw
OP Trevers 28 Apr 2016
In reply to Trevers:

Thanks for the suggestions everyone

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...