UKC

How hard does Andy Kirkpatrick free climb on rock?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pkrynicki1984 26 Apr 2016
I'm a big fan of his and obviously know what alpine routes hes climbed from reading his books.

But I was wondering how hard he climbs on rock? most of his routes seem to contain lots of aid.

smithaldo 26 Apr 2016
In reply to Pkrynicki1984: 8b+

In reply to smithaldo:

Where have you got that from?
In reply to Pkrynicki1984:

I've tweeted Andy a link to this so hopefully he'll be along to answer it, unless he's too busy aiding up an A5 route on El cap.
andy kirkpatrick 26 Apr 2016
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

Depends on how much climbing I've been doing! I always say I'm a 5b climber and have been since I was 15, climbing up to E3 or 5.10ish. Hardest trad route was an E4 so maybe I'm pretty crap, but to honest I've never put that much time into trad climbing... I just enjoy climbing. I guess seeing as I've done ED2/3's, Scottish 8, A5, WI6.... and 5b maybe that makes me the worlds worst allrounder!!!!!

Sean Kelly 26 Apr 2016

A pointless question in some ways. It's like 'I want a new camera, what should I get?' sort of thing. The grade you climb is what you do on the day. We all have good and bad days. Somedays we really do fly...!
 Kemics 26 Apr 2016
In reply to andy kirkpatrick:

I thought 5.10 was more like e1? Wouldn't e3 be more around 5.11b? I hope so otherwise about to have a really shit time in Yosemite
andy kirkpatrick 26 Apr 2016
In reply to Kemics:

Some 5.10's can be E3's or E4's, it's always hard to judge, and for Yosemite the grades can be stiff unless you know how to climbs cracks well (or granite slabs). I'd always say to start low and work up (or and always carry two sets of cams!)
 FactorXXX 26 Apr 2016

Was going to say that it doesn't matter, as the best climber is the one having the most fun.
However, it's Andy Kirkpatrick and he seems to delight in being cold, wet and miserable...
 rocksol 26 Apr 2016

Does it matter You could have said the same about Alex McIntyre
In reply to rocksol:
Alex was actually quite good on rock.

OP E3 5b is a grade that reflects quite well, the sort of commitment a bold and sustained, poorly protected winter climb could throw at you (eg. on the Ben) i have known quite a few good winter climbers, who could operate at this grade, but considered themselves rubbish rock climbers, myself included. But then winter climbing/Alpinism was there bag.
Post edited at 19:55
OP Pkrynicki1984 26 Apr 2016

I'd say it makes you a pretty awesome all rounder!
 Dave Garnett 26 Apr 2016

> But I was wondering how hard he climbs on rock? most of his routes seem to contain lots of aid.

He doesn't have to show off, these days the rock leans back as he approaches.
I'd always say to start low and work up

priceless advice from my hero!

sorry, it was a gift.

ashtond6 26 Apr 2016
In reply to Kemics:

If you go expecting 5.10 to be e1, you are in for one hell of a time!

E1 in yosemite is 5.9 generally (but there are E2 and E3 5.9s)
 Kemics 26 Apr 2016
In reply to ashtond6:

Lol it took me 30 mins to put my ledge up in the garden. I realise I'm going to be a massive punter! But thanks for that, 5.9 = e1 + is a good bench mark
 Darron 27 Apr 2016
In reply to Kemics:

I climbed Braille book (5.8) a few weeks after Left Wall and couldn't believe how hard the former felt.
 MikeSP 27 Apr 2016
In reply to FactorXXX:

Sounds like type 2 fun.
 andrewmc 28 Apr 2016
In reply to MikeSP:

There's Type 1 fun, Type 2 fun, and Type AK fun

(all hail)
 Stevie A 28 Apr 2016
In reply to Darron:

I remember being told that routes on the Sentinel side of the valley were a good grade harder than those on El Cap side. Utter bobbins, of course, as I squirmed up routes on either side in a similarly terrible style. BB is a beautiful route though.
 Robert Durran 28 Apr 2016
In reply to Kemics:

> I thought 5.10 was more like e1? Wouldn't e3 be more around 5.11b? I hope so otherwise about to have a really shit time in Yosemite

If being hopelessly and consistently sandbagged constitutes a shit time, then yes,
definitely.
 rocksol 28 Apr 2016
In reply to Andy Clarke1965:

Not compared to his Alpine contempories e.g. Nick Colton, Al Rouse, Arab Carrington etc etc
 Sean Kelly 28 Apr 2016
In reply to rocksol:

> Not compared to his Alpine contempories e.g. Nick Colton, Al Rouse, Arab Carrington etc etc

Arab Carrington? A top climber from Wadi Rum perhaps...
 Rick Graham 28 Apr 2016
In reply to Sean Kelly:

What was his mates' name again, Phil Burka?
In reply to rocksol:
I think you are wrong there, read Brick edge cruiser!

PS i may be wrong, but thought he was pretty handy on rock for an Alpinist? E4/E5?
Post edited at 20:03
 Mick Ward 28 Apr 2016

Hmm... when I saw him, he was, let's say, pretty average on rock and not remotely comparable with the three whom Rocksol has mentioned.

This in no way detracts from his stature as a 'super-Alpinist', i.e. one taking Alpinism into the greater ranges.

A wonderful talent, taken from us at far too young an age.

Mick

P.S. Perhaps a comparable example is Mick Geddes, apparently average on rock but a very good ice climber and Mr Cool himself when it came to the big grip.

In reply to Mick Ward:

Stand corrected, the generation before mine, just always imagined him to be very good on rock, a really inspiring climber, the first Alpine style ascent of the Harlin on the Eiger in 76", this route is considered nails now and never repeated.
Removed User 28 Apr 2016

> Stand corrected, the generation before mine, just always imagined him to be very good on rock, a really inspiring climber, the first Alpine style ascent of the Harlin on the Eiger in 76", this route is considered nails now and never repeated.

It was (iirc) soloed by Charlie Fowler in c.1990/91.
 Doug 29 Apr 2016

Alex's partner on the EIger direct was Tobin Sorenson who was very good on on rock, and they aided some parts (not sure how much aid they used). There's been a few repeats including one a couple of years ago by Robert Jasper and Roger Schaeli which was claimed as the first free ascent but they didn't climb the original finish, 'escaping' into the White Spider & the 1938 route.
 sdavies141 02 May 2016
In reply to Darron:
That makes me smile - 5.8 off widths in Yosemite are nails.
 Rob Exile Ward 02 May 2016
In reply to Mick Ward:

I climbed with Alex before he went to university and he didn't tear down any trees!

Unbelievable stamina, courage, enthusiasm and commitment though. Maybe that's where I went wrong....
 Mick Ward 02 May 2016
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

> Unbelievable stamina, courage, enthusiasm and commitment though. Maybe that's where I went wrong....

Hey, it's where we all went wrong!

So it goes...

Mick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...