UKC

Conditions for Corrour-Dalwhinnie ski traverse

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
AJN 27 Apr 2016
Hi,

Does anyone know snow conditions in Corroir-Dalwhinnie area? I am considering skiing the traverse over the weekend.

Thanks, Andy
James Jackson 27 Apr 2016
In reply to AJN:

From driving through last weekend, snow is hanging in the N facing corries and down the shaded sides of burns, but no plateau cover. I expect the recent snow would only have put a cosmetic dusting down on top of this. I've been eyeing up the corries that lie due south of Dalwhinnie, and they are certainly still game for a descent, but not sure a full-on traverse will be in good nick throughout.
 Gael Force 28 Apr 2016
In reply to AJN:

Roller skates would be better than skis from what I've seen.
 Andes 28 Apr 2016
In reply to AJN:

Another negative here. I know there has been some fresh snow in the last few days, but when we were up that way last Thursday, Friday, Saturday the cover was very patchy - great skiing in north and northeast facing corries, with a few runs down to 700m or so, but nothing of any significance on many hills, nothing at all on south facing slopes, so I don't think 10cm or so of fresh snow will fill things in enough. Ben Alder plateau did look very white but.
 Nathan Adam 28 Apr 2016
In reply to AJN:

Came across Rannoch Moor into Corrour on Tuesday via train and it's got very light snow cover on the heather and grass. Likely to be snow in the corries in certain areas but you'll do a lot of walking as well, it has snowed over the past two days but no where near enough at lower levels.

Better to look at a Cairngorm plateau traverse of some sort I'd say.
James Jackson 28 Apr 2016
In reply to Nath93:

> Better to look at a Cairngorm plateau traverse of some sort I'd say.

Cairngorm is a great shout - it's absolutely loaded.

http://ncairngormsblog.sais.gov.uk/2016/04/winter-continues-sais-weeekend-f...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...