UKC

Margalef without a car

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 HoffiDringo 29 Apr 2016
Hi, I was wondering if anybody has ever gotten there without car hire? I can't drive but hope to be in the north of spain near riba-roja d'ebre and would quite like to at least see Margalef whilst I'm out there.
 zv 29 Apr 2016
In reply to Cerith:

Hello!

It's hard.

If it's a few of you the easiest way is getting a taxi from Reus - negotiate with the driver - dear at around 75 euros (maybe could be negotiated down).

There is actually a bus which goes to Margalef, which you need to get from the bus station at Reus.

It is the Prades Bus initially and then you need to change to a small minivan which drives around the villages, the change is coordinated and the drivers wait for each other.

On the way back the bus passes through the bus stop in Margalef every day (excluding weekends I believe) at 5:50 and is in Reus around 8.

It's a beautiful place with spectacular climbing!
 Emilio Bachini 29 Apr 2016
In reply to Cerith:
I've travelled from Flix to Margalef a few times, it's a great drive but not a noticably busy road and I don't remember seeing many buses going that way.

I think if you were planning on staying there a couple/few days it'd be worth hitching over. There's a couple of campsites and refugios though food shopping is limited. Do it before though and you'll be fine, there's only one shop and it's opening times are random at best.

Hope you get there, have fun.

Emilio.
Post edited at 23:22
 scope 29 Apr 2016
In reply to Cerith:

You can get a train from Riba Roja, to get you to Reus, then a bus as others have said. I'm not sure of cost or journey time though.
OP HoffiDringo 04 May 2016

Hi,
thank you fort the replies! Very helpful.
Alternatively. are there any more accessible crags in Catalunya that you can get to without a car? I was told Margalef has the best climbing in the area but getting there seems tricky.
 Jordon Fleming 04 May 2016
In reply to Cerith:

I have recently just got back from travelling round Spain and spent a month around margalef, suriana and monsant. Personal opinion would be to stay on the campsite at suriana. Then 3/4 of the climbing in that area can be walked to within a max of 30 mins. different style to margalef but still a world class venue.

Also getting down to the town (cornadella- think this is how you spell it)is easily done by hitchhiking, were the shops, bars and bakery's are located. Basically put you thumbs unto any of the vans and they will give you a lift haha. You can also get a bus from reus to the town and the just hitchhike up to the campsite. If I ever went back for longer than a week I wouldn't bother to hire a car.

I can give you loads of information if your interested about the area just get in touch.

cheers Jordon
 Rich2002 04 May 2016
In reply to Cerith:

Just got back from Margalef last week and trying to do that with out a car would be a complete ball ache. plus if you got there getting out again would be difficult. It is a very quiet rural Spanish village, lovely but without the Independence of a car it would get old quick. what time of year do you get out there, as it is starting to get hot now.
In reply to Cerith:

Its not very far from Riba Roja (38 km), you may be able to hitch, cycle (if you can get hold of a bike) or get a Taxi.
Through the following villages: Riba roja d'ebre -- Flix -- La Palma de'ebre --La Bisbal de Falset--Margalef. Depending on how adventurous you feel.
Have fun...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...