UKC

View new intervalometer design.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 d_b 03 May 2016
In reply to Garbhanach:

Because everything is better* with touch screens.

*at running down its battery and breaking when it gets rained on.
OP Garbhanach 04 May 2016
In reply to Garbhanach:

In reply to davidbeynon

The View does not have a touch screen and you can operate it with big gloves on, the phone with touch screen shown was only being used to monitor the View from inside a car.

The View did have a screen but then so does the camera and that can be used to monitor the exposure during timelapse holygrail however the View review says it can do intelligent rapmping which could possibly eliminate the need to use the cameras screen, I think the View also has it,s own power.

If it can ramp as good as they say then it could be useful.

Marek 05 May 2016
In reply to Garbhanach:

I doubt I would buy one, but it does suggest a possible Arduino project for a wet weekend. I've already got an Arduino in a box with buttons and a display. I just need to swap the stepper drive shield for a USB shield and think about a ramping algorithm.
 d_b 05 May 2016
In reply to Marek:

The hard bit is getting the usb protocols for all the different cameras. The promote is still the best bet for that as far as I know.

The OCC guys took a different approach and used the cable release & bulb mode to control exposure times but there is a lack of precision there. I think you need ND filters to make ramping work well in daytime.
 Marek 05 May 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

> The hard bit is getting the usb protocols for all the different cameras.

I think the www.circuitsathome.com guys have done some work (reverse engineering, libraries) in that direction.
 d_b 05 May 2016
In reply to Marek:

I might take a look. It's about time the promote control had some proper competition. For me a key requirement is battery life measured in days so a lot of the fancier options don't cut it, and the promote is a bit too expensive for me.

Tried a couple of options and ended up sticking with a 5 quid plasticky chinese thing. Something a bit smarter than that would be nice. Might see if the open circuit people have libs for the D7K and take a look. PIC might be a better bet than an arduino though.

This thread reminds me that I have several minutes worth of timelapse footage sitting on my hard drive from last year that I need to get around to deflickering and editing... Maybe I should see about pulling my finger out.
 Marek 05 May 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

> ... For me a key requirement is battery life measured in days so a lot of the fancier options don't cut it, and the promote is a bit too expensive for me.

My arduino box has a 4x18650 battery pack inside (because I had one lying around from a bike headlight and I needed to drive a stepper motor - barndoor tracker project). That should keep it going for more than just 'days'!

d_b 05 May 2016
In reply to Marek:

You need a car battery. An electric car battery.
 Marek 05 May 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

> You need a car battery. An electric car battery.

I'm not sure - I think the Arduino Uno takes about 25mA. As it is it should run for a week or so. Add some simple power management (e.g., sleep between pictures) and it could extend to a month? But in a way you're right - Tesla use 18650 batteries too, just a few more than 4.
 d_b 05 May 2016
In reply to Marek:

wire them all in parallel and the voltage will still be acceptable...
 Marek 05 May 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

> wire them all in parallel and the voltage will still be acceptable...

Unless like me you have a 5V variant (Arduino Uno).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...