UKC

COMPETITION: WINNERS - Win 1 of 3 Grivel Poseidon Harnesses

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 02 May 2016
Grivel Competition, 5 kbThe POSEIDON is a special harness for mountaineering, expeditions and ice falls. It is the first waterproof harness.

Read more
 steveb2006 02 May 2016
In reply to UKC Articles:

Another ridculously easy competition - but more importantly - in my view, a significant factor for winter/mountaineering harnesses is the ability to put it on without having to step into leg loops - this doesnt look like it has that ability (unless you undo buckles which is fiddly). The DMM Super Couloir is the best winter harness I have come across so far. Also BD Alpine BOD though latter doesnt have a belay loop.
 TobyA 02 May 2016
In reply to steveb2006:

I don't think they are designed to be IQ tests!

It seems loads of ice climbers abroad and UK winter climbers are perfectly happy with fixed leg loop harness for winter. I reviewed one a some years back http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=5228 and it is not nearly as much effort to deal with as you might imagine.
 Nathan Adam 02 May 2016
In reply to steveb2006:

How often do you put your crampons on before you put your harness on? No matter where I'm winter climbing, if I go in with the intent of climbing a route and have my harness with me, it goes on when I'm stopping to put my crampons on. When is it practical (or advisable) to climb rock hard neve to the bottom of a route and stomp out a ledge to put your harness on?

Fed up with people telling others that you need a fully adjustable harness for winter climbing. All of my harnesses have fixed length leg loops and I've never had a problem with it. The only situation I can see the Super Couloir being useful for is when ski mountaineering and need to leave ski's on and putting your harness on for an abseil halfway down a steep gully.
 Bryn_F 03 May 2016
In reply to Nath93:

> Fed up with people telling others that you need a fully adjustable harness for winter climbing.

steveb2006:

"...more importantly - in my view, a significant factor for winter/mountaineering harnesses is the ability to put it on without having to step into leg loops..."

"...in my view, a significant factor..."

"...in my view..."

Nathan Adam 04 May 2016
In reply to Bryn_F:

Bravo sir, a fine response.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...