UKC

Stetind South Pillar - Mozzie's?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 glaramara 02 May 2016
having a crack at Stetind this July. have people who have been there been eaten alive by mozzie's or any other type of midgie bastard? Or is it too cold, dry and north for blood suckers?

db
 HeMa 02 May 2016
In reply to glaramara:

low down. like at the parkin' lot and in the trees there can be some tiny flying blood suckin' vermins...

But once above the treeline, you'll prolly be just fine (so all of the climbing).
 Dave 02 May 2016
In reply to glaramara:

Dry...? Norway ?

On my two visits there I don't remember being troubled by mozzies or midges.
Dave
 TobyA 02 May 2016
In reply to Dave:

Yep, I was there with Dave and don't remember mozzies being an issue. Definitely not on the route itself, and we had a beer in celebration in the wee small hours after getting down (it's a big day!) I don't remember them being a bother. If camping at the bottom you could probably just sit in the carpark or down on the boulder beach and you'd probably be ok. I do remember being bother greatly by them whilst bivvying on Kvaloya for night though at similar time of year.
 TobyA 02 May 2016
In reply to glaramara:

BTW, have you read my punter's guide to Stetind South Pillar? http://lightfromthenorth.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/stetinds-sydpilaren-south-p... It might be of some interest.
OP glaramara 02 May 2016
In reply to TobyA:

Yes I have. It kind of inspired the idea actually, so kudos. Hope you weren't blowin wind though cos me and mi mate are really, really shit
 TobyA 03 May 2016
In reply to glaramara:

No, I'm currently climbing VS onsight and falling off HVSs on grit, although I was a bit fitter when we did it. The crux pitches are pretty far out being so high, but the protection is all very much there. Good luck.
 Red Rover 03 May 2016
In reply to TobyA:

Could you aid the crux pitches?
 d_b 05 May 2016
In reply to glaramara:
I have never found Norway remotely as bad for bugs as its reputation suggests. Camping by the carpark under stetind in mid June last year was no trouble at all.

I would still take a head net & coils just in case.
Post edited at 11:11
 Robert Durran 05 May 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

> I have never found Norway remotely as bad for bugs as its reputation suggests.

Same goes for virtually anywhere with a bad mosquito reputation. Presumably because they never seem bad compared with midges here.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 05 May 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

> I have never found Norway remotely as bad for bugs as its reputation suggests. Camping by the carpark under stetind in mid June last year was no trouble at all.

Agreed. The Norwegians reckon that you don't get mozzies by the sea - they have obviously never been to Glens Etive or Brittle,

Chris

TobyA 05 May 2016
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Nordic mozzies don't do open spaces as well as Scottish midges. In Finland you can camp on a small beach on a lake side, say 6 mtrs of sand and be fine. Walk two metres into the forest beyond for a pee and they are in your eyes, ears, nose etc. Horrible. I think in Norway you are often by a beach and sea so it helps! Go inland into lapland and it can be very midgy.
OP glaramara 06 May 2016
In reply to TobyA:

My theory was the harder winters will hammer the beastie's more. So not as bad as scottish summer. Good.
 d_b 12 May 2016
In reply to glaramara:

According to one of my walking guidebooks the mozzie numbers spike about a month after the snow melts and then gradually tail off over the summer. I don't know how true that is as I have been lucky so far.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...