UKC

Janet Street Porter and Cycling...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FactorXXX 09 May 2016
 Dauphin 09 May 2016
In reply to FactorXXX:

That's the point. This is TFls mission.To make all forms of carbon burning transport increasingly unpleasant and expensive until people give it up a choose> walking, cycling, >public transport, >electric vehicles. Democracy has nothing to do with it. Rather like giving up fags by making it difficult and expensive to indulge. In ten years time almost everyone will be happier, healthier and thinner and look back and think wtf was I doing?

D
 ChrisJD 09 May 2016
In reply to FactorXXX:

Andrew Gilligan gives his view to JSP:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03tm40m
KevinD 09 May 2016
In reply to FactorXXX:

yawns and goes down pub instead.
In reply to FactorXXX:

'In a personal film, which she will debate on Monday’s Daily Politics, the TV presenter and former president of the Ramblers' Association asked why cyclists should get preferential treatment over pedestrians.'

Haven't pedestrians had pavements to separate them from traffic for a while now?
 Ramblin dave 09 May 2016
In reply to FactorXXX:

One day - just once - I'd like to see someone objecting to a proposed road-building project on the grounds that people in cars often speed, run red lights, and park on double yellow lines...
 gethin_allen 09 May 2016
In reply to FactorXXX:

Another nobody talking about something they know little about, that's JSP. I don't understand why she's famous, why should we care what she says?
 Trevers 10 May 2016
In reply to FactorXXX:
What a pathetic video. It honestly could've been a Philomena Cunk video, such was the level of intellectualism presented:
youtube.com/watch?v=NvpbW7JRu0Q&

I hate this simpering attitude of "we can have cycle lanes so long as we don't inconvenience drivers". In towns and cities where alternatives are perfectly viable, drivers are inconveniencing themselves by insisting on using a slow, wasteful and dangerous means of transport.
Post edited at 00:55
 Trevers 10 May 2016
In reply to FactorXXX:

Just watching the cycling "debate" on the Daily Politics Show. Andrew Gilligan is doing a magnificent job of keeping his cool in the face of some incredibly persistent stupidity.
Removed User 10 May 2016
In reply to Dauphin:

> This is TFls mission.To make all forms of carbon burning transport increasingly unpleasant and expensive until people give it up a choose> walking, cycling, >public transport,

Surely you mean that this should be their mission - in fact, with rare exceptions, they give every impression of doing the exact opposite.

andy 10 May 2016
In reply to Trevers:

<No shit Sherlock alert>

I'm a dead keen road cyclist, but I've always done it as a pastime/sport/hobby - however I've recently started to live in central Brum during the week, as well as travelling quite a bit to London and other places with work. So I've bought a Brompton - and it's just bloody fab. I've never really used a bike as day to day transport before. I have a shopping basket thingy for it, so I can go to the shops and carry a couple of bags of stuff home, I have a laptop bag for work so I take it on the train to London or wherever and now I never get taxis or the tube (I was always quite a keen Boris Biker in London but I also go to various other places where the default was always train then cab), I go to the pub, I ride to and from the station and the office. I'm amazed by how many 25 minute cab rides are actually 20 minute 3 or 4 mile bike rides. I don't wear a helmet on my Brommie, no lycra, no day-glo - just hop on, go where I'm going and get off again.

Boardman for PM...

Tony the Blade 11 May 2016
In reply to andy:

> <No shit Sherlock alert>

> (I was always quite a keen Boris Biker in London

Please can we stop calling them this now? I refuse to use the term as it was actually Ken Livingstone's concept, although I do accept that the term Ken Bikes doesn't have the same ring to it.

Sadiq Cycle anyone?

Ramblin dave 11 May 2016
In reply to Tony the Blade:

We tend to use "Kencycle".
 Nevis-the-cat 11 May 2016
In reply to andy:

Bring your road bike sometime - I'm in Brindleyplace - we can go for a razz through Dudley and Tipton - almost as pretty as Embsay and Eastby.....
 lummox 11 May 2016
In reply to Nevis-the-cat:

Isn't the Cote de Tipton often compared favourably with the Ventoux ?
Lusk 11 May 2016
In reply to Tony the Blade:

> Ken Bike

I thought Barbie was the bike?
 Matt Vigg 11 May 2016
In reply to FactorXXX:

Janet Street Porter is a tw*t. The end.
 GrahamD 11 May 2016
In reply to Matt Vigg:

A tw*t with big teeth ? time to be scared....
 Jimbo C 11 May 2016
In reply to FactorXXX:

It comes across as a deliberately inflammatory piece of journalism. I'm not a fan of JSP at all, but can she really be so narrow minded or is this designed to light a fire under the debate for cycling infrastructure?
 andy 11 May 2016
In reply to Nevis-the-cat:
> Bring your road bike sometime - I'm in Brindleyplace - we can go for a razz through Dudley and Tipton - almost as pretty as Embsay and Eastby.....

Have road bike, single speed and Brompton in Brum! Flat's Jewellery Quarter so near you.

Just starting to try and find places to ride from the city - had a ride round Sutton Park the other night.

Be good to get out if you fancy it (or a beer) - there Monday to Friday.
Post edited at 15:25

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...