UKC

Hilltops temperature in May/June

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pietrach 10 May 2016
Hi
I am planning for my very first hilltop camping at the end of May beginning of June. I am thinking of any Munro around Loch Lomong / Crianlarich area. The day temperatures i would expect at the "car park" would be between 10-15deg, and night anything between 3-8deg - guessing here. Can you advise what temperatures I can expect at the summit level (3000ft)?

Thanks
 tony 10 May 2016
In reply to Pietrach:

To be honest, you need to go prepared for a wide range of possibilities, including bloomin' cold. Expecting Scottish temperatures to be anything at this time of year is a complete guessing game. You could get lucky and be warm, but everyone with experience of walking on Scottish mountains will have stories of freezing temperatures in June.

And, be prepared to change your plans at short notice.
 CurlyStevo 10 May 2016
In reply to Pietrach:
It can snow any / every month of the year on top of Ben Nevis.

The main thing that will prevent you from camping on top of a Munro is high winds although they often are OK late may.

I think if you have a sleeping bag that will definitely handle 0 degrees C sleeping naked then you can wear some clothes if need be to increase warmth and you should be fine. Also bear in mind if its a clear night its normally colder in the glens than on the summits as cold air drops.

I think the likely temperature range you'll find at munro level is -2 to 15 degrees. At car park level it could be super warm (today is over 20 deg at many car parks) however it could easily be 10 -15 degrees colder than that. Currently at munro level on the west coast its 15 degrees C!
Post edited at 12:14
OP Pietrach 10 May 2016
In reply to tony:

My plan so far is to stay close enough to my car so that I can get back quickly (up to 1.5h walk) if the weather turns nasty. Especially that my tent was never exposed to very high winds and it will be a test...where failure is an option.
 Mark Bull 10 May 2016
In reply to Pietrach:

Minimum temperatures on the summits outside the range -2C to +8C would be unusual. High winds and heavy rain are more likely to cause you problems.
 Flinticus 12 May 2016
In reply to Pietrach:

Be flexible with the date and try only to commit within 2/3 days so you have a reasonable forecast.

Having said that, I generally use a 4 season bag all year round! I just zip up fully and add clothes in winter plus take a winter mat.

Good luck. It can be a really enjoyable and amazing experience.
 Mark Bannan 12 May 2016
In reply to Pietrach:

> Hi

> I am planning for my very first hilltop camping at the end of May beginning of June. I am thinking of any Munro around Loch Lomong / Crianlarich area.

so are you planning to get "monged"?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...