UKC

Recommend me a mountain boot

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mr-Cowdrey 10 May 2016
Hi all,

I've been out of the boot market for a few years but now find myself needing some new ones as mine have finally given up the ghost completely.

It's a tall order, but I'm after something that will cope well with pretty much everything from 'summer' UK mountain walking and Scrambling/easy rock climbing to easy scottish winter and summer alpine routes (upto grade IV and D)

My old boots were Scarpa Freney GTX (told you i haven't bought boots in a while). I have quite a wide forefoot and most Scarpa boots fit well, but haven't tried many other brands to be honest.

Cheers
 wbo 10 May 2016
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:
More Scarpas - Rebel Lites?
 JayPee630 10 May 2016
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:

I only have one pair of boots now for everything. Most of the time I use fell shoes nowadays, but for summer when I do need boots for scrambling, winter walking and easy climbing, and summer alpine, I use Scarpa Charmoz.

If I was in the market now I'd look at the La Sportiva Trango Cube GTX.
 Mark Haward 10 May 2016
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:

I've been delighted with my Trango cubes - but obviously it's about trying lots of boots on to see which both suit your activity and fit your foot shape
In reply to Mark Haward:

The Trango Cubes are great however Id not want to use mine on anything above grade 3 , get a pair of Trango Extreme Gtx if its a one boot does all ,however your really better with a Lightweight pair of Rebels or Trango S for summer and winter boots for just that Winter Adventures if you can stretch to 2 pairs
 alasdair19 10 May 2016
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:

for everything short of technical winter at IV and above the scarpa manta pro are excellent. The various rebels are expensive to buy and you'll be resoling regularly.
 alasdair19 10 May 2016
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:

and if you have size 12 feet I'll make you an offer you can't refuse on some b3 carbon midsole goret3x acu 's
 alasdair19 10 May 2016
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:

also of interest may be the amazingly light salewa b 3 for only 200 notes at outside put a yeti gaiter in for Scotland and your in business
OP Mr-Cowdrey 10 May 2016
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:

I have a pair of Scarpa Omegas which I use winter climbing but wouldn't fancy using them for summer hill walking! Plus i don't really like them but i did get them for £100.

In an ideal world, I'd have something like the Phantom Guide for winter climbing and big boy routes in the Alps and a B2 boot for summer walking and mountaineering in the UK.

But the new winter boots can wait till autumn, i just need advice for the summer stuff. Basically, a stiff boot for easy climbs/hard scrambles but soft enough to wear comfortably all day walking moorland and mountains.
 bouldery bits 10 May 2016
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:

I'd think the Scarpa Manta will be closest?
 BnB 10 May 2016
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:

Scarpa Rebel Lites then. Superb for scrambling and barely heavier than a trainer. Fully waterproof with a high enough ankle that a careful walker can cast his gaiters aside. As already noted the soles are not indestructible but light and durable is not an easy combination to find.

I've romped up grade III ice in mine with a flex bar inserted into my C2s, and scrambled amongst the Cuillin multiple times, the gabbro of which might account for the accelerated sole wear. Love them.
 pavelk 10 May 2016
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:
Saltic boots are excellent for very good price. Unfortunately I don´t know i they sell them in Britain...
These may be perfect for you
http://saltic.cz/catalog.php?category=trekking&product=26
 Mark Haward 11 May 2016
In reply to stevieweesaxs107:

Ah yes, meant Nepal Cubes
pban 24 May 2016
In reply to BnB:

Another vote for the Rebel Lites, used last weekend on Crib Goch, great for scrambling. Love them
 mff513 07 Jun 2016
In reply to JayPee630:

Yeah I've got a pair of cubes but they are nothing like the Scarpa fit but would have no issues with any of the grades listed.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...