UKC

How long should bib shorts last?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rob wmc 10 May 2016
I don't mean between washes! I've been riding a new bike for a few months and my backside is suffering on rides of a couple of hours. I went to my LBS to enquire about a fizik test saddle whereupon the assistant suggested I invest in some new shorts (mine are four years old and my only pair). How long do people use their shorts before replacing them?
Rob
 balmybaldwin 11 May 2016
In reply to rob wmc:

If you cycle a lot and they are your only pair i'd say you've more than had good value and time to replace. There's not many clothes you can chafe against for hours without wearing them out. even at the expensive end I think they are good value for money. My Assos bib shorts are unbelievably comfortable at 4 years old and I alternate them with some cheaper but still £110 Castelli ones which are good but not for so long a time in the saddle.

At the cheaper end, I think as they don't use as good padding materials they last a lot less. I've got a few pairs of shorts that seemed to loose their stuffing after a year or so of occasional use (I wear them under baggies mtbing now)
 LastBoyScout 11 May 2016
In reply to rob wmc:

Definitely start with some new shorts.

I wear Assos ones for long rides, especially when warm, and they're fantastic - only had them for a couple of years and alternate 2 pairs. They are an expensive treat, though.

I also have Castelli, Endura and an ancient pair of Nike ones that are pretty tough, but the padding is rubbish and so they're reserved for mountain biking and short rides.

Castelli have a good reputation for affordable quality and DHB (Wiggle's own brand) seem to be pretty popular.

Try: http://www.sportpursuit.com/road-cycling?type=Shorts,Trousers_%26_Tights
OP rob wmc 11 May 2016
In reply to rob wmc:
Thanks for the input, have ordered another pair of dhb aeron shorts, hopefully they'll do the trick.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...