UKC

Mobile reception within Arrochar Alps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pietrach 11 May 2016
Hi
I am planning my first wild camping at/near summit, and my other half has put a condition that I must be able to send an "ok" text when certain time. Looks like I must oblige
So far I was thinking about Beinn Ime or Binnein an Fhidhleir both from Butterbridge. Do you know if there is a reception at /near the top (o2 network)?

Thanks
 Pids 11 May 2016
In reply to Pietrach:

O2 works on top of the Cobbler, haven't been up Beinn Ime for a while so cant remember
 ogreville 11 May 2016
In reply to Pietrach:

option 1 - If she's insisting that much, tell her she needs to come with you

option 2 - Go to the pub at Arrochar, text her at closing time to say your at the top of the hill and your 'OK', then start the slow drunken assent in the dark

Job done

P.S. I get signal from O2 near/on the summit too.
 Bob Aitken 11 May 2016
In reply to Pietrach:

I fear you've got a potentially serious safety management problem here, Pietrach. If you feel you must accept your partner's condition on this first occasion, you create (a) a significant risk of a false alarm because you find you're unable to send your text as and when required; and (b) a long-term problem if your partner then applies the same condition for all your subsequent high camping ambitions, when you won't know in advance, and won't always be able to find out, whether or not you'll have phone coverage on the top. But you've probably thought of that ...

I did wonder when I read your earlier thread whether you'd be better to start with a camp not right on a summit but in a high corrie, where you'd have more scope for finding a site sheltered from the risk of high wind, and perhaps less concern for your partner. But then you'd quite possibly have less chance of a good phone signal!
 Mark Bull 11 May 2016
In reply to Bob Aitken:
> I fear you've got a potentially serious safety management problem here

I have to agree: I would try to convince your partner that such an arrangement doesn't really serve any useful purpose. In the event that your partner doesn't get a text, then either they spend the night needlessly worrying, or else they contact MRT, who I suspect won't take much interest in going looking for a someone who is well equipped to spend the night out and isn't overdue.
Post edited at 21:53
OP Pietrach 11 May 2016
In reply to Mark Bull:

Thank you for your comments. I am in the process of convincing my other half and your views will help a lot. Looks like we will settle for our standard routine which is to get in touch by a certain time, in this case next morning when i expect to be back in the car.
 aln 12 May 2016
In reply to Pietrach:

There's no mobile coverage from the Butterbridge car park.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...