UKC

Gaiters for Elbrus

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Roguewader 11 May 2016
Hi,

I'm new to mountaineering outside of Scotland and have taken the plunge and booked for Elbrus later in the year. My fitness is pretty good and given it doesn't have any technical sections I thought it would be a good option in the higher mountains.

When in Scotland I use Scarpa Charmoz without gaiters as I'm only out for us day. Due to being a cold foot this winter on Nevis I decided to opt for LS Baruntse double boots for Russia.

My question is do I need to use gaiters with these? If they are required I will take them, but I don't want to buy extra kit for the sake of it.
 pass and peak 12 May 2016
In reply to Roguewader:

I would take some, best thing with gaiters are they keep your trousers legs wrapped tight so you don't catch them with your crampons and take a tumble, not to mentions there cheaper than holes in your gortex trousers! Also if its as windy as usual, a lot of snow gets blown along above the saddle, don't want that up your trouser leg! Enjoy
 Adam_Turner 12 May 2016
In reply to Roguewader:

In theory they should be fine. It just depends on how cold you get, Elbrus can get pretty Baltic at times.

I wore Spantiks and at the coldest part of the summit morning my toes did get a little cold but not to the extent of wanting gaiters too. So i reckon you should be fine without
 Babika 12 May 2016
In reply to Roguewader:

I'm jealous! I really want to do Elbrus - last couple of years I've been put off by some warnings in the area but its obviously improved now.

Can I ask who you are going with? Or is it an independent trip?

Thanks
In reply to Roguewader:

I've just come down from leading a couple of trips up Elbrus and gaitors are recommended but not essential. A good double boot is key as it can get pretty cold. Your Baruntse will be ideal.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...