UKC

MTB confidence building course recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Phil Tucker 12 May 2016
I'm in my early 60s been doing a bit of mountain biking over the last 5 years or so but only on an ad hoc basis, perhaps a trip every other month or so. I go out with a group of friends, similar age or younger mostly cross country (30km or so, Lakes, Dales etc). Most of the group started at a similar time to me but now they are far more competent and confident. In many ways I feel I'm getting worse, particularly in the confidence department once the going gets more technical (broadly equivalent to a trail centre red).
I'm thinking that a good course, probably one to one, would be the best way to at least try and gain confidence as I don't want this to beat me.
Recommendations for a course (I'm based in Warrington, so no more than a couple of hours from there) that would be appropriate much appreciated. I did an intro course at Llandegla a year ago which was useful.

Phil
PS sorry it's turned into War and Peace!
 MonkeyPuzzle 12 May 2016
In reply to Phil Tucker:

I'm not based up that way but just wanted to say you absolutely won't regret a skills course. A little technique will increase your enjoyment tenfold.
 ChrisJD 12 May 2016
 balmybaldwin 12 May 2016
In reply to Phil Tucker:

Your best bet is to have a google about your local area, join the local mtb facebook groups etc There are good mtb coaches everywhere these days. once you've found someone with good reviews get your self an hour or 2 session first, then have a series of follow ups maybe an hour every other week, that way you can learn bits and practise them between sessions. Alternatively some of the bike parks also do tuition - I did a group one at bpw on jumping, but didn't rate it much it didn't seem to get much specific feedback (we arranged the group of 3 it wasn't just randoms) I would think getting a regular relationship with a local coach would do you better in the long run. - Maybe speak to a local bike store (not evans etc) to see if they can recommend anyone

That isn't to say a one off session wont be of value - even the one i referenced above helped if only because i spent a day concentrating on jumping technique.

ChrisJD 12 May 2016
In reply to Phil Tucker:

I'm also using Ryan Leach's online video coaching (paid for) for wheeling and baseline balance skills.

I'd recommend the latter ($47, the price of a cheap tire) for all mountain bikers:

https://www.ryanleech.com/baseline-balance-skills-for-mountain-bikers/

Shapeshifter 12 May 2016
In reply to Phil Tucker:

Hi Phil

My mate Colin (mid 60's) has had a few skills lessons at Llandegla and really felt they were good value for confidence building. He was really positive about them, so might be worth another go there.

Cheers

Ged
 Horse 13 May 2016
In reply to Phil Tucker:

I've done a few skills courses and always got something out of them but a magic bullet they are not. I tend to now see them as a start, do the course take it in and practice lots what you were taught. In time it gets hardwired.

Another vote for Ryan Leech, you can practice most of his stuff on a quiet street.
 summo 13 May 2016
In reply to Phil Tucker:

repetition, pick a route, be it glentress, brenin, betws, grizedale, wolf.... and repeat. Several times in a day. You'll learn which bits you hesitated on, over cooked etc... or weren't in the right gear etc.

Skills areas are ok for basic balance, mini skills etc., but a few km of track is much better. It's a bit like skiing, you need a few turns to get into the swing of things, or rhythm. Cover your weaknesses, drop offs, jumps, fast corners/berms... you'll know what they are already.

Good out with a friend who is faster and can tail you down and around stuff, get some feed back on body position over the bike etc..
 balmybaldwin 13 May 2016
In reply to Phil Tucker:

Also video your self (not a head cam a stationary camera) and then film someone else doing it well. Look at your weight, line and speed in comparison

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...