UKC

Finger tip push ups - better than finger boarding?!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TheHorroffice 14 May 2016
I read in some god awful men's health sort of thing that the Navy Seals consider finger tip push ups to be the ultimate for building finger strength (I guess they mean the bones and joints) and recruiting forearm strength. This seams bizarre, when I try them it just feels like you are locking out your joints and forcing your body weight down through them and not really engaging the forearms at all. What do other climbers on here think (hopefully you are more qualified than I!)?
 alx 14 May 2016
In reply to TheHorroffice:

I believe the finger strength requirements of a navy seal and a climber are slightly different. I wouldn't be giving up fingerboarding just yet.
 Shani 14 May 2016

AKAIU finger strength is very dependent on the grip trained. So training a non climbing 'hand shape' will have limited benefit to your climbing so there may be better use of your training time.
 WildCamper 14 May 2016

I use them in my training, it sounds from your description that you are using bad form.

if you have a look for a pdf called "convict conditioning" it contains a progression standard and a guide to proper form
 rgold 14 May 2016

When the overhanging boulder you are working suddenly tilts over and falls on top of you, thank god you trained fingertip pushups so you can get the thing off your chest, probably without even releasing the holds.
 d_b 15 May 2016
In reply to rgold:

Does it count as a clean ascent if the top comes to you?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...