UKC

When did that happen?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Indy 15 May 2016
Was in the Asics shop on Oxford street on Saturday and happened to notice that there wasn't a single pair of running shoes that cost less than £100. Same could be said of the Adidas shop further on up. Don't buy Nike but can't see them being any different. It doesn't really matter but wonder whats driving the price hikes.

Also how much do/would you spend on running shoes and how often do you replace them?
 Rampikino 15 May 2016
In reply to Indy:

Depends on the shoes and how robust they are...

Got a nice pair of Asics trail running shoes for £45 at Go Outdoors last week.

I do ok running (sub 20 for 5k, close to 40 for 10k and 1:33 1/2m) and often I buy a middle of the road pair of adidas that lasts me a good 400+ miles.

My Mizumo pair have lasted 600+ and still doing PBs in them.
 Yanis Nayu 15 May 2016
In reply to Indy:

As a fanboy for the supremacy of the market, I would imagine you could work it out for yourself.
 yorkshireman 15 May 2016
In reply to Indy:

> Also how much do/would you spend on running shoes and how often do you replace them?

Couple of things IMHO:

1. You don't have to buy them, there are cheaper deals - just seems like market forces.
2. Its a flagship store on Oxford Street so not exactly geared to pile it high sell it cheap.
3. Ever since I've been running (around 6 years) you never got much change from £100 for a pair of new running shoes so I think its not a recent thing.

I've currently got 9 active pairs of running shoes although admittedly I only use the Snowcross in winter and don't run in my two pairs of road shoes much. However I tend to change my trail shoes after about 1000-1500km so tend to get value. The last pair (Brooks Cascadia 11) I bought in a store in Gap a couple of weeks ago for €140 which although top end (you can save a few quid online), didn't seem too high for a local store for a newly released trail shoe.

I think there is a trend though, a bit like in cycling, that trail running (and probably all forms) is attracting a more affluent, middle class customer base and some prices might be starting to reflect that.
 DancingOnRock 15 May 2016
In reply to Indy:

Running has seen a pretty big boom recently. Especially with parkrun.

I won't spend more than around £80 on a pair and think that's expensive. I just bought a pair of Nimbus 16, the current model is 18.

About 600+ miles. Which is about 5months for me.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...