UKC

NEWS: Nicky Spinks Breaks Double Bob Graham Record

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH News 16 May 2016
She's done it!, 3 kbOver the weekend of 14-15 May Nicky Spinks completed a double Bob Graham Round, running the 66-mile route twice in a record time of 45hrs30mins. She is only the second person to complete the double in under 48hrs, and the first female.

Read more
 london_huddy 16 May 2016
In reply to UKC/UKH News:

An amazing achievement, surely one of the major athletic feats in the UK this year.
 Tall Clare 16 May 2016
In reply to london_huddy:
Wonder whether it'll make it to the mainstream news - I'm thinking probably not.
Post edited at 06:42
 Ridge 16 May 2016

Superb effort.
 thommi 16 May 2016
Wonderful wonderful news! Truelly inspirational, well done Nicky!
 Tom Last 16 May 2016

Bloody Hell, tremendous!
 DerwentDiluted 16 May 2016

That's really, as in really, astonishing. In an age where 'Awesome' is used to describe a nice breakfast, I am beyond awe struck at that achievement. A remarkable and inspiring woman.
 lummox 16 May 2016

I was thinking about her as I was lounging around at Shepherds. Outstanding effort.
 BrendanO 16 May 2016
In reply to lummox:
Hats off Nicky! Can only admire you, awestruck. Am 20 years your junior and couldn't manage ONE round, in any time. Hope this might make the normal news, haven't seen it yet.
Post edited at 08:29
 philhilo 16 May 2016

That really is an mind bogglingly epic feat of endurance, congrats.
 Paul Robertson 16 May 2016

Absolutely brilliant news. I'm so pleased for Nicky.
I love that last picture - she looks like she has just been on holiday.
 ralphio 16 May 2016

Just WOW. Didn't even know the double Bob Graham existed.

Interesting the out and back method in sections method. Has it been done in two laps do we know? I didn't even consider it would be done any other way. I mainly wondered whether it would be done in two laps going the same way or an out and back lap...

Really impressive stuff though. Would love to do the Paddy Buckley one day but I just like rock climbing too much!

Dunc
 JMarkW 16 May 2016

sh1t the bed
 Chris the Tall 16 May 2016
In reply to Duncan Campbell:
Took me a couple of reads before it made sense, but I think she started running clockwise (Skiddaw, Hellvellyn, Scafell) as far as Yewbarrow (sort of 8 on the clock), then anti clockwise back, through Keswick, and back to Yewbarrow (completing one full lap), then resumed her clockwise lap back to Keswick.

I gather the reason was that her support team only had to drive to Wasdale once, plus it meant she could do the trickiest section (Broad Stand) in daylight and was on easier ground (Northern Fells) over night.

Bloody remarkable acheivement - what an inspirational person

simes303 16 May 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:
"Wonder whether it'll make it to the mainstream news - I'm thinking probably not."
Of course it won't. It's not football, cricket, rugby or tennis.
Post edited at 11:31
 Tall Clare 16 May 2016
In reply to simes303:

Agreed, but it seems a shame as it's such a phenomenal achievement. On the other hand, perhaps less publicity keeps the fells quieter?
In reply to simes303:

I've got a feeling it will!
 Tall Clare 16 May 2016
In reply to Nick Brown - UKC:

Hopefully!
 tombeasley 16 May 2016

Amazing achievement, wow!!!
 mountainbagger 16 May 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-cumbria-36170806

Search the page for "Bob Graham" or "Nicky Spinks" and you'll find it in there somewhere
 knowall 16 May 2016

Saw her on Pillar summit on Sunday at 4pm followed a few minutes later by Joss Naylor who stopped to chat to us whilst eating his chocolate bar. Nice surprise as I was not expecting them. A great achievement.
 Pete Pozman 16 May 2016

Absolute humble respect.
 Tall Clare 16 May 2016

I saw the Guardian earlier. I think I need to find a hat to eat. I did think the BBC article took a slightly odd angle, presenting her first as 'cancer survivor and farmer' and not really emphasising that she's a very competent athlete. Good that the news is out there though!
 london_huddy 17 May 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:

While it's gratifying to see some coverage because it's such an amazing achievement, the BBC article was very odd. Thought the Guardian was better but still more human interest than huge athletic effort.
 Henry Iddon 17 May 2016

Human interest sells the story to those with no interest in sport.

It's a wonderful achievement but I cant help wonder - why ?
 Rog Wilko 17 May 2016
In reply to Henry Iddon:

> It's a wonderful achievement but I cant help wonder - why ?

Why what?
 Henry Iddon 17 May 2016
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Why do a record for 2x Bob Graham round. Is there a 3 or 4x record ? Is there record for doing it in a dressed in purple or wearing ski boots ?

I appreciate the effort and achievement and all that, don't get me wrong. It just seems that going further or for longer to set new records can make simple and obvious challenges become convoluted. Why do a 2x record when a fast 1x record says it all ?
 Chris the Tall 17 May 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:

She is raising money for a cancer related charity - https://www.justgiving.com/Nicola-SPINKS1 - and her story fits in neatly into the charity's ethos, so it is very relevant. (and she is just £200 short of her target of £10,000 - c'mon folks!)

And whilst the BG is fairly well known in climbing/full running circles, and highly regarded by those who do know about it, I doubt if 1% of the UK population will have heard of it. So not only does it have to be explained to the other 99%, the reasons why it is so iconic, so difficult etc have to be explained. Anyone who's done a parkrun can relate to a marathon, and doing marathons on successive days. But something like this is so leftfield, that athletic comparisons are virtually meaningless.
 Postmanpat 17 May 2016
In reply to Henry Iddon:

> Why do a record for 2x Bob Graham round. Is there a 3 or 4x record ? Is there record for doing it in a dressed in purple or wearing ski boots ?

> I appreciate the effort and achievement and all that, don't get me wrong. It just seems that going further or for longer to set new records can make simple and obvious challenges become convoluted. Why do a 2x record when a fast 1x record says it all ?

Coming on a climbing and mountaineering site that it a truly weird question. Why do we do any of this stuff?
 Chris the Tall 17 May 2016
In reply to Henry Iddon:

2000 people have done a BG, but only one had done the double. NS did hold the woman's record, but lost that to Jasmin Paris, but she'll always be the first woman to do the double.
 Michael Hood 17 May 2016
In reply to Chris the Tall:

I look at the BG round and think - I could probably build up to doing that.

Do it in <24 hours - not so sure.

Do it twice in whatever time - ha-ha, no chance. Her performance is truly phenomenal.
 Michael Hood 17 May 2016
In reply to Chris the Tall: Being pedantic here , 3 people have previously done double BG but only one in <48 hours.

Will she now do double Ramsey in <48 and/or double PB in <48?

Anyone up for triple BG in <72 etc.

Or how about Ramsey in <24, drive to Lakes, BG in <24, drive to Wales, PB in <24, whole thing in <72 - that would surely be some kind of ultimate challenge.

Andy Hardy 17 May 2016

> She is raising money for a cancer related charity - https://www.justgiving.com/Nicola-SPINKS1 - and her story fits in neatly into the charity's ethos, so it is very relevant. (and she is just £200 short of her target of £10,000 - c'mon folks!)

>She's a bit nearer now
 Scomuir 17 May 2016
In reply to Henry Iddon:

Why run fast round a track twice when someone's set a record for running fast round it once.
 Rog Wilko 17 May 2016
In reply to Henry Iddon:

> Why do a record for 2x Bob Graham round. Is there a 3 or 4x record ? Is there record for doing it in a dressed in purple or wearing ski boots ?

> I appreciate the effort and achievement and all that, don't get me wrong. It just seems that going further or for longer to set new records can make simple and obvious challenges become convoluted. Why do a 2x record when a fast 1x record says it all ?

You could say the same about 12 hour and 24 hour cycling records. One is twice as long as the other.
 deepsoup 17 May 2016
> Anyone who's done a parkrun can relate to a marathon, and doing marathons on successive days. But something like this is so leftfield, that athletic comparisons are virtually meaningless.

I don't think they're meaningless at all, it's just that such a mind bogglingly enormous feat of endurance it's hard to get one's head around.

I live in Sheffield, so explained it to a work colleague this morning like this:
A marathon is the equivalent of running from Sheffield to Wakefield. The double BG is running from Sheffield to Newcastle whilst ascending from sea level to the summit of Everest and back down again twice along the way.
 mountainbagger 17 May 2016

> She is raising money for a cancer related charity - https://www.justgiving.com/Nicola-SPINKS1 - and her story fits in neatly into the charity's ethos, so it is very relevant. (and she is just £200 short of her target of £10,000 - c'mon folks!)

Not anymore - target is now £15,000! Also there's something about ITV screening tonight. Not sure, maybe on the news? Here's the quote from the just giving page:

'I'm in daze with it all. ITV have just left - it's going to be screened tonight. I managed a run for camera even!! I've spoken to Hugo Iffla (Director of Odyssey) and he is over the moon about the donations. The charity would like to buy a mini bus for £15,000 (second hand; no chance of new at £30,000!!). So £15,000 is now my new target!!"
In reply to deepsoup:
I have been struggling to understand the magnitude of this also, some numbers '

BG 66 miles 27,000 feet. x 2, =132 miles 54,000 feet

What have mere mortals got to compare this with?

The 3000;s of wales 1 crossing = 24 miles 12,000 feet
QED.
54,000/ 12000= 4.5 132/ 24= 5.5

So something akin to 5 times the Welsh 3' in a weekend ! and not a lot do it as a Double

Well done nicky

maths edit
Post edited at 22:31
 Andy_B39 17 May 2016
In reply to Michael Hood:

> Or how about Ramsey in <24, drive to Lakes, BG in <24, drive to Wales, PB in <24, whole thing in <72 - that would surely be some kind of ultimate challenge.

I'm sure I read somewhere that Mick/Mike Hartley did exactly that back in the 80's.
 steveriley 18 May 2016

Nicky Spinks is due to be on Woman's Hour this morning...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07b9r10

It'll be on catchup later
 Stig 18 May 2016
In reply to steveriley:

She's on now

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...