UKC

ARTICLE: Pushing Boundaries - Women's Climbing in Iran

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 19 May 2016
Farnaz Esmailzadeh, 2 kb"Down in the city, I was a girl being treated differently. When I went to the mountains with my Dad, I felt like an equal." For Shirin Shabestari, climbing and mountaineering presented an opportunity to transcend the oppressive barriers of inner-city life whilst growing up in Tehran.

At a time when Iranian women are making their voices heard like never before, Natalie Berry interviews three female Iranian climbers at the forefront of Iranian climbing and mountaineering, to find out how they are subverting preconceived ideas about women in sport and inspiring a new generation of young climbers.

Read more
 drolex 19 May 2016
In reply to UKC Articles:

That's a very interesting read, thanks for that!
 Misha 19 May 2016
Interesting topic and a good article.
 TobyA 19 May 2016
In reply to Misha:

Yeah, really interesting. Hope the ice climber gets to go on the BMC international meet sometime!
 jwi 19 May 2016

Great subject. Too bad about the editing though. Will read all of it when the word-spacings that vanished in the import are added.
 stp 19 May 2016

Really interesting to read about climbing in such different parts of the world.
In reply to Jonas Wiklund:
There's been a coding glitch this evening. Hopefully will be sorted shortly!
Post edited at 21:01
 jwi 20 May 2016
In reply to Natalie Berry - UKC:

Thanks! Now it's in a readable format.
 Ben1983 20 May 2016

Really good article. Balanced in its discussion of women's rights in Iran and recognising the agency of these clearly excellent female climbers. It's for work like this that I value UKC.
nikkormat 20 May 2016

Really good article, thanks Natalie and UKC.
Removed User 20 May 2016
In reply to Natalie Berry - UKC:

Brilliant, interesting and very worthwhile article, chapeau.
 Ramon Marin 20 May 2016

Fantastic article. These women show incredible determination.

It's great to see climbing being a source of self expression in such difficult circumstances. Humbling as well. Cool. Great Article.
 nwclimber 20 May 2016

What an excellent and inspiring article! The Bumper Book of Climbing Fun team have just returned from climbing in Sicily, where we had the great pleasure of meeting at the crag a young climber from Iran. Her conversation was really stimulating and I'm sure she will be very interested in this article when I forward her the link.

Out of curiosity, what prompted the article?
In reply to nwclimber:
I had heard of Farnaz through the IFSC events but she has also featured in a lot of mainstream media interviews recently. I knew Shirin through the making of her film Damavand: An Iranian Dream (which is at the end of her section and featured on the homepage and well worth a watch if anyone hasn't managed yet and can spare ten minutes!) and the two stories suddenly came together. I was interested in their commitment to two different disciplines, which were affected differently by the strict laws in the city. Shirin then introduced me to Zohreh who added yet another angle.

Added to this is the fact that there really has been a lot of coverage about hijab laws and women's sport in Iran of late, which made research quite full-on but really interesting. Do a Google search and you'll find there's been a story at least once a week in the past few months!

Many thanks for the positive comments! I am very glad that their stories have been so well received.
Post edited at 18:50
 Lucy Wallace 20 May 2016

Superb article. Thanks!
 Mick Ward 21 May 2016

A very thought-provoking article indeed. Many thanks!

Mick
 Andy Say 28 May 2016

I saw the Iran youth team in Arco last year at the youth world champs and managed to have a brief chat with the coaches. It was great to see them there: and climbing well!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...