UKC

REVIEW: Punk in the Gym by Andy Pollitt

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 20 May 2016
Punk in the Gym Review, 5 kbAndy Pollitt has to be up there in the hall of fame of British rock climbing, not simply because of his routes and repeats, but due to the style he exuded doing it all: that long hair, those skinny tights, and the wild cutting edge routes both on sport and trad. He was a 'rock star' through and through...

Read more
In reply to UKC Gear:

Such a good book!
 Morgan Woods 20 May 2016
In reply to UKC Gear:

Can anybody identify the shoes* in the Redpoint ad (and why it's okay to glorify smoking)?

*Might be scarpa rock rats
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 20 May 2016
In reply to Morgan Woods:

> Can anybody identify the shoes* in the Redpoint ad (and why it's okay to glorify smoking)?

> *Might be scarpa rock rats

Super Rats rings a bell?

Not sure smoking is being 'glorified'.

Chris
 jsmcfarland 20 May 2016

Get over yourself, people smoke, and sometimes just happen to be having a smoke when a picture is taken of them
lostcat 20 May 2016
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Pretty sure they are Super Rats. Wasn't it spelt Ratz though?
 Andy Hardy 20 May 2016
In reply to UKC Gear:

Twenty quid for an e-book? Yorrr 'avin' a larf incha?
 JJL 20 May 2016
In reply to UKC Gear:

"Cuting edge".

Do you even English?
In reply to JJL:

Oops, sorry about that - this crime against humanity has now been rectified
Post edited at 11:53
 JJL 20 May 2016
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Ta!

In reply to JJL:

I don't know how many times I've read through that review, but there's always one word wrong somewhere - sods law it had to be in the opening bloody paragraph!!
 AP Melbourne 20 May 2016

Right. Well you did ask Rob ,,,
Thanks for that - greatly appreciated and am glad you didn't pan it. Fair-do's to Andy B and VP too.
However, I should point out that there's no playing 'poor me' here, I just endure the same trials & tribulations as half the community - be it UK or Oz.
Thanks Duncan, Chris, jsmcfarland ... people huh?
Morgan: Superatz and that was the whole thing about the Red Point ad with the ciggie. Perhaps - with respect, you didn't get it when every one else did? Suggest you read the book ...
Andy H: How else can a lowly-paid, struggling first-time author keep a fridge well stocked?
All kidding aside, a serious and genuine thanks for the interest.
I only hope eveyone's well, enjoying the cragging (as & when) and stay safe. Don't do The Bells ... (The H-Man is better), ha!
Best,
Andy.
 steveriley 20 May 2016
In reply to UKC Gear:

Crag Rats > Superatz > Rock Masters wasn't it? I've got some cut down Rock Masters in the loft that turned them into the new-fangled 'shoes', rather than boots. Home made chalk bags, jumpers for goalposts, nostalgia isn't it?
 Ramon Marin 20 May 2016
In reply to AP Melbourne:

So excited about this book, finally a book with guts just like the climbing of the era.

Love the insight don't do The Bells...
 Michael Gordon 20 May 2016

Hadn't even noticed the cigarette. Not with those clothes on show!
 sdavies141 20 May 2016
In reply to UKC Gear:

Liked the book, not sure about the lycra but I was was born in 1986 so probably its a generational thing ..... after all you see all the 50 years old men on their bikes also in lycra
 JJL 20 May 2016

Yeah - but he *is* cute though...
 AP Melbourne 24 May 2016
In reply to UKC Gear:

Woo Hoo!
Funnily enough, my good friend Geoff Birtles of Stoney and 'Crags' fame emailed me last year from a bar in Chamonix where he was chatting to the delightful Ms Destivelle ...
Seems Catherine remembered me from the eighties and asked whether I was now a MAMIL - Middle Aged Man In Lycra. Hilarious.
Cheers,
Andy.
 Paul Figg 24 May 2016
In reply to UKC Gear:

Loved the book, great insight into bold trad climbing at Gogarth and the Sheffield scene. Brought back memories of rock star spotting at Stoney cafe, great photos that I remember first time round.
 AP Melbourne 26 May 2016
In reply to Paul Figg:
Thanks Paul, appreciated,
Massive self-indulgent bump but (not quite), more a big thumbs up to old mates for their contributions and photos. Brilliant days them - espesh watching JR doing Atomic Finger Flake - you had to be there. Actually, no, probs best you weren't.
Best all, Taxi,
Andy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...