UKC

Heroes - a Bowie tribute

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I am not a huge Bowie fan but when I saw a post on a site that claimed to be a great interpretation of 'Heroes' I was tempted to listen. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03vbc5t
It was by Catherine Jenkins whom I respect highly as a singer in her own genre but I have to say that I think her version of Heroes - although technically superb - is soulless and hollow.
Am I alone in this view?
andymac 22 May 2016
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:
Alone? No.

I thought it was crap.

Heroes is near the top of my YouTube playlist atm ,with Jack Savoretti (Catapult) ,and.. Country Roads

I'm not a fan of Miss Jenkins.and her operatic cleansing of Heroes renders the song into just a stream of flat,meaningless words.
Post edited at 22:36
 Chris Murray 22 May 2016

Saw her performing it on Michael Macintyre last night. I thought it was pretty bland.

.....I still would though.
 DerwentDiluted 23 May 2016
Bowie's Heroes is one of my desert island discs.
I always thought he sang it with tangible pent up desperation, it evokes feelings of doomed love across the Berlin Wall for me.

Despite Ms Jenkins' obvious charms I managed to get to 0.45 before clicking off, why would you turn something so potent into something so anodyne?
Post edited at 07:20
 summo 23 May 2016
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

> , why would you turn something so potent into something so anodyne?

potential easy money?
 Tobes 23 May 2016
In reply to Le Chevalier Mal Fet:

Err...Macintyre really? With that bouncy fringe?!

Takes all types I guess
 DerwentDiluted 23 May 2016
In reply to summo:
Oh yeah, that.

Engages rant gear, why would you mourn somebody, hail them as a unique genius, and then do what they did only crapper and a whole lot less unique? What next? Susan Boyle doing Barry and Freda as a 'Tribute' to Victoria Wood? Olly Mursdering When Doves Cry? Joey Essex doing the 'cut your heart out with a spoon' diatribe on Comic relief? James Corden and Russell Brand doing Fork 'andles?

Drowning in a sea of mediocre, tepid, insipid, bland, turgid, populist, X factor inspired ...
Out of steam. Feel better now.

Those ideas above, mine, remember that, when it happens pay me but don't blame me.

Edit, actually I could see the attraction in SuBo doing B&F;

"I've never done it, never done it, never done it but tonight couldn't care less,
No man ever looked at me till I was a millionaire-ess,
Let's do it toniiiiiiiiiiiiiight
I can't do it, I can't do it, I've got a bit of a cough,
I can't do it, I can't do it, your moustache just puts me off"
There's no way we've got enough lube, I'd rather watch your audition on you tube, I can't do it toniiiiiiiiiiiiiight.,"
Post edited at 08:20
 flaneur 23 May 2016

Not a fan of Katherine Jenkins, a mediocre singer of her type who wouldn't have got anywhere had she looked like Susan Boyle.

I like this version, another peroxide blonde but much less plastic:
youtube.com/watch?v=ABEqQKlWLC0&
 BnB 23 May 2016

This is the best 20 minutes of video I've seen this year. Utterly fascinating

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03g18sx

So sad to witness the appropriation of Heroes. For me, it is numinous, the greatest of all rock records.
 John2 23 May 2016

Did you ever see the TV programme on which Robert Fripp claimed that he gets an erection every time he plays the guitar part to Heroes?
 toad 23 May 2016

no. This isn't right. I've the same issues with choral interpretations of...... well pretty much anything that isn't originally intended to be sung with a choir. Shoehorning some very specific and technical singing tricks into a song that was never intended for them hardly ever works, as BBC2, a gaggle of hapless innocents and that idiot in the bowtie* periodically prove.

Which isn't to say you cant re-interpret an old song, but you have to at least acknowledge the roots of it.

*Gareth Malone - couldn't remember his name
 spartacus 23 May 2016
In reply to andymac:

I think your Missing the point of Miss Jenkins it's not her singing, it's her chest
 nickh1964 24 May 2016

Not sure if the Blondie mentioned above is the same as the live version on the B side of the 12" single version of Atomic, that is alive recording with Robert Fripp on guitar and its a very good version of the song, close to the originalin terms if quality IMHO.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...