UKC

Easy pace

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JuneBob 30 May 2016

I find this so confusing, there's so many different opinions on this.

My goal is to run the Berlin marathon (sept 25th) in under 3hrs. I have no idea if I'm capable, or if my body will make it in one piece, but I'll give it a shot.

My best half was 1:31 and my best 10k in 40 mins last year when I just ran sporadically.
I've been training quite hard (10m(+randonee skiing)-50m/week) the past 8 weeks, off the back of an intense ski mountaineering season (skimo racing). So, I'm pretty sure I could beat those times from last year now.

I've been looking at training guides and everything is about the easy running. For me, I'd say easy running is about 6min/km. 5:30min/km is also easy-ish, but there's some effort there.

However, I found the runners world ASICS 26.2 guide, and that indicates 8m/mile as easy for a sub 3hr marathon. That's 5m/km. That doesn't feel easy to me - that's pretty solid. It also has a pretty full-on program, running 6-7x per week.

So, the question is, what are your experiences with "easy" running? Anyone run a sub-3hr marathon and have some comments on what feels easy to them? And is running pretty much every day important?
Post edited at 10:18
 Roadrunner5 30 May 2016
In reply to JuneBob:

I think it's in between the two..

A minute off marathon pace is still pretty hard.

I'd say closer to 90 seconds is easy, so around 8:30 minute Mile.. I think 10 minute miles are so easy they put no stress on your CV system.

My easy pace is 7:30-8:00 and my marathon pace is 6:00
 StefanB 30 May 2016
In reply to JuneBob:

Very subjective obviously, but if it serves as a reference, I am currently in 3:20 marathon shape (estimate based on many previous marathons and some recent halfs) and I would consider easy pace at roughly 5:30 min/km.
 planetmarshall 30 May 2016
In reply to JuneBob:

> My goal is to run the Berlin marathon (sept 25th) in under 3hrs. I have no idea if I'm capable, or if my body will make it in one piece, but I'll give it a shot.

> However, I found the runners world ASICS 26.2 guide, and that indicates 8m/mile as easy for a sub 3hr marathon. That's 5m/km. That doesn't feel easy to me - that's pretty solid. It also has a pretty full-on program, running 6-7x per week.

It suggests to me that your aerobic capacity is not quite up to running a 3 hour marathon, and you may not have the time to develop it to that point, at least as prescribed by the training methods you've looked at.

At least that's what the numbers say. It doesn't necessarily mean that you can't run sub 3-hours, just that you may not find the 'easy' running very easy.

OP JuneBob 30 May 2016
In reply to JuneBob:

Thanks for the replies. I suppose I should do some heart rate checks to see what that says is easy for me. I've run 35k at 5:30/k without issue and then continued my day after as if I'd sat on the sofa, it's just that going 6:00/k is even easier, and there's lots of comments out there about people who run too fast when doing their easy runs, so I'm imagining it should feel incredibly easy!
XXXX 30 May 2016
In reply to JuneBob:

My half pb is 1:25 and my 10k is sub 39, 5k sub 19. I'm solid if not spectacular. I wouldn't consider myself sub3 fit. Even so, even after long periods of injury I go back into long easy runs of about 5:30/km. Sounds to me that you don't have a good base of running. If you do go under 3, well done. With your base, I'd suggest you're more likely to get injured than go sub3, but I don't know you from Adam. Good luck.

My advice would be aim for 3:15 and then spend a year on that last 15 mins. It's not like there's never another marathon.

wbo 30 May 2016
In reply to JuneBob:
I would disagree that your cardio fitness is the problem - I think that's fine but you can't run fast enough, or rather that you're not trained to run fast enough.

I don't think you need to run 7 days a week. There are plenty of folk out therenot doing 7 a week and running round the 2.35 , 2.40 mark. But I do think you're going to need to do some speedwork of some flavour. I am also, considering your background, going to suggest that you don't do any tempo runs yet (if ever) . You need to do something like kilometres, and 2 kilometre reps. You need to learn to run

Go find a stretch of road and look at markers for 500m and 1 km, and maybe 1500 and 2 km as I'd kick off by doing a set of 4 *2km, with 3 mins inbetween and see how that goes. Certainly look to see if you can get them under 8 mins each. This needs to be accurate and pretty flat - having a big hill might make you feel tough but doesn't actually help you at all.

Ian . your thoughts?

Edit - if you really haven't run much then the pacing of the above might be too difficult. So, 6 -8 * 1km, 3:50 to 4 mins per, 1 min rest, see what happens. As ever needs to be accurate +-50m at worst. If you need to , do it on a track though the bounciness might mean you need to run barefoot or very light shoes.
Post edited at 16:21
csambrook 30 May 2016
In reply to JuneBob:

There's some interesting work being done in Cambridge to extend the Tanda formula to cover a greater range of running profiles than he originally researched. Schwiening and O'Holleran have a significant following of runners who put in big distances at very slow pace and get excellent results. Take a look at:
http://www.athleticsweekly.com/featured/marathon-pacing-smashing-through-th...
for a better explanation than I could give.

I hate to tell you this but 50 miles / 80km per week at 6m/km isn't really training that hard, in fact the Tanda formula would suggest it might get you a marathon time disappointingly longer than 3 hours. 80km per week at 5:30/km might get you 3:20 to 3:25 ish. If your physiology matches the athletes in Tanda's dataset and you wanted to run just 80km per week you'd need to be training at around 4:25/km!

My experience with easy running is that by putting in reasonably big distances at a slower pace I've avoided injury but still managed to knock an hour off my marathon and get myself a Good For Age entry into London 2017 During the build-up for the spring race season I was doing 100 to 150km per week and still nowhere near the top of the local distance leader board.

Don't underestimate the effort of a marathon, the first 35km or so are often referred to as the first "half", those last 7km can take at least as much effort. I can show you plenty of Strava logs (Berlin included) where everthing's going fine until 35km and then the inevitable effects of under training and/or going off too hard kick in, heart rate rises dramatically, pace drops off and blood pressure falls to the point where it's physically impossible to carry on, there's no pace which is sustainable.

Berlin is a lovely marathon but I'd caution against setting yourself an unreasonable target. Train carefully then just before the race put your training data into some race predictors. Don't try to run it faster than the predictors say, just keep to the pace they tell you, take in the modern history tour and enjoy overtaking all those people who went off too fast in the final few km.
 planetmarshall 30 May 2016
In reply to csambrook:

> ...I can show you plenty of Strava logs (Berlin included) where everthing's going fine until 35km and then the inevitable effects of under training and/or going off too hard kick in, heart rate rises dramatically, pace drops off and blood pressure falls to the point where it's physically impossible to carry on, there's no pace which is sustainable.

Indeed. My half marathon PB is still the first half of the Berlin marathon. The less said about the second half, the better.
 steelbru 30 May 2016
In reply to JuneBob:

You need to be able to run sub 1:25 for a half, preferably nearer 1:24, plus have all the long runs in the bank. For long runs, you want at least 5, if not 8 in the 18-22 range. If starting now then every second weekend minimum you need a long run.

You also want to include some predicted marathon pace miles towards the end of some of these long runs, say once a month, starting at 8 and increasing to 10, 12, 14 ( eg first one could be 16 miles, 7 mile easy, 8 @ PMP, 1 mile easy ), etc. This gets you used to running at PMP on tired legs.

You'll also find it useful to do a medium long run mid-week, say 10-14 miles, plus a tempo ( or rep session ) plus the rest as easy runs.

However all the above assumes you have a good base of running built over a number of years, if you jump from the odd run or two, up to a regular 50-60 mpw, then you're likely to get injured, so depends on your running history as to whether to train seriously.
 ianstevens 30 May 2016
In reply to JuneBob:
I attempted this recently - had a 1:28 half (November), 38:20 10k (December) then trained like a pig all winter (mostly 70k-ish weeks plus climbing at least 3 times). Went out in March attempting to go sub-3 hour, kept the pace for the first 30k and imploded.

Be wary of the pace calculators!
Post edited at 22:39
 DancingOnRock 30 May 2016
In reply to JuneBob:

The marathon is a funny beast.

It's about training your body to use as little fuel as possible.
OP JuneBob 31 May 2016
Thanks. Lots of things to think about, but I suppose this thread highlights the difficulty of finding a "right" answer - there's lots of different opinions! My biggest worry is injury as I've never seriously trained running until since this March, but as I said it came off the back of an intense skimo racing season when I trained for and completed Pierra Menta. I'm finding that stamina-wise I feel fine, it's just my legs get worn out, they start to feel heavy over long distances and I get aches and pains. I ran 36k @5:30/km last night, and I was able to chat to my gf who came along for a bike ride, but as it went on my legs felt heavier, and various little discomfort niggles in my knees and ankles got worse. This morning my right lower calf/achilles isn't too happy, i.e. quite tight.
The other challenging thing here (Trondheim) is it's difficult to run more than a km without there being a hill. Yesterday's run was pretty flat, yet I still did 800m vertical. There is a nice new promenade which I could mark out for intervals.
XXXX 31 May 2016
In reply to JuneBob:

Intervals don't need to be flat. Use the hills as secret interval training!

Impact is what makes running so much harder than cycling and skiing on the body and you have next to no experience of it. I would seriously just run for a year or so before you aim for sub 3
 Yanis Nayu 31 May 2016
In reply to JuneBob:

Based on your 10k and half marathon times, according to Jack Daniels, your easy pace is about 4:47 to 5:24 per km. You're fitter now, so might want to adjust, but there is a lot of thought that you're better off running too slow than too fast on an easy day.
 Roadrunner5 31 May 2016
In reply to wbo:
Agree re the quicker work.

I think the key sessions fit me were tempo sessions, 1 to 4 miles, 5 x 1 mile, 3 x 2 mile etc with 1 min rest per mile run, at around my 10 mile pace so 5:35-5:45.. And then long runs about 45 s off MP but finishing at MP.. You have to know what running at MP feels like after 15-20 miles.
 wbo 31 May 2016
In reply to JuneBob: To be a little critical...'' You also want to include some predicted marathon pace miles towards the end of some of these long runs, say once a month, starting at 8 and increasing to 10, 12, 14 ( eg first one could be 16 miles, 7 mile easy, 8 @ PMP, 1 mile easy ), etc. This gets you used to running at PMP on tired legs.''

I actually don't know how an inexperienced runner is going to get this right, or do it fast enough to be useful as it is going to feel very, very hard. You also stand a high risk of leaving your marathon all over the training trail. The reason I suggest one or two km reps is that you actually need to learn, feel, what a faster pacefeels like.

As said I also , and very strongly , believe these reps and a lot of runs need to be fairly flat, and for multiple reasons. Berlin is a flat marathon and you need to get used to the feel of running flat and fast. Also, you won't be getting any long downhill stretches to rest on. I am , f.w.i.w. fairly familiar with Trondheim and I don't see why you can't run out towards Stjørdahl towards Ranheim and Målvik along the coast and back. Which bit do you live in?

OP JuneBob 31 May 2016
In reply to wbo:
Yeah, the coastal paths are nice, I'm just not a fan of there&backs, so I end up going inland into the hilly bits to make a loop. Also, I often incorporate ladestien in to my runs because it's a nice place to run, but that's quite bumpy.

Anyway, I'll take all the advice on board.
 Yanis Nayu 31 May 2016
In reply to JuneBob:

It's funny, I don't like there and backs either. Always run too fast on the way home.
 chris bedford 04 Jun 2016
In reply to JuneBob:

I had the idea of trying for sub-3 on the back of several weeks in the Alps a few years back. Had a good season and built up a solid base of endurance - which it sounds like you have in spades. Abingdon (my local marathon) was perfect timing (late October) and is flat and fast, had about 6 weeks to sharpen up running speed. All went according to plan and came in at about 2:58:40. So I reckon you have a pretty good chance of sub 3 (though my 10k times were around 37 - 38 minutes at the time). Also worth bearing in mind that racing at around 6:50 min/mile (approx 3 hour pace) won't feel anything like as tough as training at that pace. But you do need to keep it going... Good luck!
OP JuneBob 20 Jun 2016
In reply to JuneBob:

I ran the Tromsø marathon over the weekend. My goal was to run 3:30, and to avoid stressing my body too much.
I struggled to find my pace at the start because of all the other runners. This was the first time I've taken part in a big race, and I found that I kept clamping on to someone else's pace before realizing it was wrong and overtaking. Then there is the bridge to go over after about 2k, so it wasn't until about 4k that I finally settled in to around 5min/k with a small group, and they looked strong, so I thought it would be a nice bunch to follow along. This went fine until 20k, when the group started to disintegrate. We went back over the bridge and at around 22k I'd lost them all behind me. They'd all suddenly dropped the pace. After that I was on my own. And I did a lot of overtaking. I went from position 219 at 20k to 159 at the finish. It seemed many people had gone out too fast. I suspect many people, myself included, didn't anticipate the effect of the bridge, and particularly the gentle ups at the end. The last 10k was increasingly heavy, and each up was a battle. My pace was around 5:05/k on average, but I know I dropped to 5:50 on some of the inclines, even overtaking some runners walking backwards...
In the end I finished in 3:36:04. I was very happy with that. I never felt particularly out of breath, and my heart rate was comfortable. But the legs were tired. The last 10k I was having to work hard to push them and particularly the final 5k, I lost about 2.5 minutes there. I noticed after the race that sitting down and standing up again wasn't easy!
As for my injury niggles. I had my 40th birthday the weekend before which involved lots of drinking and no training, so I only ran about 5k in the 10 days leading up to the race. And I think it helped as my body had a chance to recover. As such I only had some minor discomfort during the race, and mostly on the balls of my feet from all the pounding.

I still plan to train for a 3hr time in Berlin, but with the expectation that 3:15 is more realistic. I'm going to add more MGP to my long runs to get used to running 4:20/k and do long intervals as suggested. I'll see how it goes!
 ianstevens 20 Jun 2016
In reply to JuneBob:
> In the end I finished in 3:36:04. I was very happy with that. I never felt particularly out of breath, and my heart rate was comfortable. But the legs were tired. The last 10k I was having to work hard to push them and particularly the final 5k, I lost about 2.5 minutes there. I noticed after the race that sitting down and standing up again wasn't easy!

Nice one - that's how marathons should be run, aside from dropping time at the end. But great effort on what I'm assuming is your first marathon? (I'm too lazy to read back through the thread). The last 5k is always hard, I find it helps if you've got people to chase down and overtake.
Post edited at 14:21
OP JuneBob 20 Jun 2016
In reply to ianstevens:

Thanks, yes it was my first. I was struggling to motivate myself to really push at the end, as I'd decided 3:3X was just fine! But it's something to take to the next one.
 tonanf 20 Jun 2016
In reply to JuneBob:

Hi bob. I ran London marathon in 3.15. The furthest I had run before was 10 mies. I did that twice. I ran 5 or 7miles 2 or 3 times a week for a couple of months and played rugby every week. While running in trainning I often did change's of pace, often did cross country, lots of hill and did sprints once a week. I weighed just under 14 stone when I ran the marathon. It was brilliant. For the first 15 miles I ran fast and overtook loads of people. 15 to 19 miles was endurance. 19 to 21 was a living nightmare, 21 to 26 was endorphin heaven. Run how you feel. If the time goal is your motivation, then go for it. If you want to do it and not feel bad then I think you need a few years of conditioning trainning for marathons...
 spotter1 25 Jun 2016
In reply to JuneBob:

you will need to mantain a 4:15/km pace for a sub 3hr. and thats for 42 km.
if i were you i wouldnt be dissapointed at 3:15 marathon time.

csambrook 26 Jun 2016
In reply to JuneBob:

Well done, that's a great time for your first marathon. It sounds like you had a good run.

Don't worry too much about the first 5km or so, it can often take a while to settle in, especially if it's crowded as sometimes you end up having to go at the pace of the people around you or you waste a lot of effort weaving. Running with a pack is fine but make sure you keep to the pace you want and don't let them drag you up or slow you down too much. The only time I'd vary that advice is if it's windy, in which case use them as shields.

Any more planned?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...