UKC

Pen y pass car park

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ranger*goy 30 May 2016
How early would I need to be at pen y pass car park to get a space? Hoping to take my 11 yr old son up snowdon this week. We are staying at Capel Curig but the Sherpa bus doesn't pick up until 9.20 and I wanted a slightly earlier start so we had lots of time.
Removed User 30 May 2016
In reply to ranger*goy:

Before 9am you'll be in with a chance. Costs £10.
OP ranger*goy 30 May 2016
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:

Ooof that's a lot!
 Glyno 30 May 2016
In reply to ranger*goy:

you can park for free in the lay by at SH664560. It's a 15 min walk to Pen y pas, not so bad at the beginning, but a bit of a nuisance at the end if you're knackered.

edit - the lay by is on the northern (Glyders) side of the road.
Post edited at 15:46
 FesteringSore 30 May 2016
In reply to ranger*goy:

I tried to park along the A5 east of Llyn Ogwen yesterday. Got there 09:00; it was choc a bloc.
OP ranger*goy 30 May 2016
In reply to FesteringSore:

Might stick to the bus. Driving round trying to park might give us a later start than the bus in the end.
 tim000 30 May 2016
In reply to ranger*goy:

taxi?
 Glyno 30 May 2016
In reply to FesteringSore:

> I tried to park along the A5 east of Llyn Ogwen yesterday. Got there 09:00; it was choc a bloc.

I parked in the lay by under Tryfan at 7.30am yesterday. I got back at about 1pm and every inch of road, pavement and verge was taken!
 richprideaux 30 May 2016
In reply to ranger*goy:

Go to Rhyd ddu and climb from that side. Better views, fewer people and possibly a nicer walk - but also a quieter car park.
 tobykeep 30 May 2016
In reply to ranger*goy:
You could drive to Llanberis and get the bus at 8? Or park on the way past of there's space. Or the 9am S2 from Llanberis gets you to PyP at about 9.25?
Post edited at 22:09
llechwedd 31 May 2016
In reply to Glyno:

> I parked in the lay by under Tryfan at 7.30am yesterday. I got back at about 1pm and every inch of road, pavement and verge was taken!

I've not long come back from a walk, Bethesda to Plas y Brenin, along the ridge on the Glyderau side of the valley. Setting off from my house at 15.45, I saw a grand total of 8 people on the hills.

A5 Verge virtually devoid of vehicles at Ogwen on the lift home.
 DancingOnRock 31 May 2016
In reply to llechwedd:
> I've not long come back from a walk, Bethesda to Plas y Brenin, along the ridge on the Glyderau side of the valley. Setting off from my house at 15.45, I saw a grand total of 8 people on the hills.

> A5 Verge virtually devoid of vehicles at Ogwen on the lift home.

I've done that before at this time of year. It doesn't get dark until close to 10pm. Starting at 9:25 am gives you over 12 hours of daylight.
Post edited at 00:27
abseil 31 May 2016
In reply to ranger*goy:

> How early would I need to be at pen y pass car park to get a space?....

Weekday, or weekend? Can be different. Hope you have a good trip, and manage to park.
Post edited at 12:57
OP ranger*goy 31 May 2016
In reply to abseil:

Weekday, hopefully tomorrow if rain will hold off.

Bus stop is right outside our door.

I had to chuckle, was in the shop in Capel Curig and a bloke was asking the way back to London. Doesn't anyone keep a road map in their car anymore

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...